Sunday, October 08, 2017

Sunday Hymn

If he'd lived today, most Christians would write him off as a hopeless case.  He was a gambler, a drunkard, a brigand, a pirate, and a slave trader.  He was a truly despicable excuse for a human being. 

Fortunately for John Newton  -- and indeed for all of us --  Jesus never writes anyone off as hopeless.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:  that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -- Romans 5:8

It was in the midst of a great storm at sea, when Newton feared for his life, that he cried out to Jesus.  He survived the storm, and became a minister.  He continued to spread the gospel until well into his 80s, when his health began to fail.  It was later in his life that he said,  "My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior."

While reflecting oh his life, Newton sat down and wrote a poem, which was later set to music.  That poem became one of the most beloved hymns of all.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind but now I see!





No comments: