Saturday, October 21, 2017

As It Happens

I didn't have an oil leak after all.

And that way that happened is as follows.  A few days ago, I noticed a wet spot in my car port under my car.  At first, I didn't think anything of it.  I'd recently filled up my washer fluid, and I always spill some.  However, as the days went on, the spot got bigger and darker.  Soon, I began to suspect it wasn't washer fluid, but rather engine oil.  Yesterday, when I got home from work, I parked in a slightly different spot, and a couple of hours later, checked.  Sure enough, there was a small stain under my car.  I ran my fingers through it, then smelled them, and it was engine oil.  It appeared I had an oil leak. 

Oh, great.  Just one more thing...

This morning, I went down and bought some oil, just to keep it topped up until I could find time to take the car to the shop and get the leak fixed.  It's still under extended warranty, so that was a relief. 

I got home, and started looking for the place to add the oil.  I knew the oil cap usually had the picture of the little oil can thing on it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  I even got out the owner's manual.  It had two pictures of two different types of engines, neither of which looked like the one in my car.  Seriously, why do they have to make everything so complicated? 

Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I came inside and googled it. 

I found a picture that looked just like my engine, showing where the oil cap is supposed to be.  I went back out and looked at my engine.  The oil cap wasn't there.  I mean, it was completely missing.  Whoever had changed the oil last hadn't got the cap secured, and it had blown off.  It was also at this point that I realized I'd bought the wrong oil. 

I went back into town, to an auto parts store, to try to find a replacement oil cap.  They didn't have a replacement cap.  The guy told me they couldn't even order that, and I'd need to go to the dealership.  OK, no big deal.  It's just up the road a piece. 

I went to the dealership, and they didn't have one in stock.  They'd have to order me one, and it will be here Tuesday.  I asked him if there was anything I could do until it gets here.  He asked the mechanic and the mechanic said, "Where you going?" 

"Nowhere," I said.  "Just to work and back home." 

He said it would be OK just driving around town.  It'll just spray oil everywhere.  I said, as long as I'm not going to mess up my engine.  That's what I was worried about.  He said no, just driving around town won't hurt but don't take off down the highway.  Good.  That's a relief. 

At this point, I'd like to step out of my story and give a shout out to Kirk Auto company here in Grenada.  They didn't have a cap in stock, but several of the mechanics looked all over -- like in their secret stashes -- to see if they had any caps that I could have.  I had about 4 of them doing whatever they could to try to get me a cap right then.  That's good customer service right there.  OK, back to my story. 

I left the dealership, went back to the store, and got the right oil.  I came home, let the engine cool a few minutes, then started adding oil into the place where you add oil.  Wonder of wonders, it was only a quart low.  So, there I was adding oil, when I spotted what looked like another ...ummm... spout, I guess you'd call it.  "Wait," I second guessed myself.  "Maybe that's where I am supposed to be adding the oil." 

I tried to put my funnel into the second spout, and it wouldn't go in.  Curious, I looked more closely, and wouldn't you know it, it was my oil cap!  Cap is now safely back in place, engine is full of oil -- to the correct level, that is, and stains are scrubbed out of the car port -- as well as they could be, and I'm very relieved that it wasn't something serious. 

I'd signed up to go to the company picnic, but by the time I got through fooling with my car, was hot, tired, frustrated, and had a headache.  I said to myself, "I think I'll just skip that picnic this year."  About then, my stomach growled loudly, as if to remind me not to turn down free food.  To the picnic I went. 

It was our company's 25th anniversary celebration, so they gave out some gifts.  First up, an engraved tumbler. One of them fancy, schmancy kinds that cost high dollars.


This blue rag, that I'm not sure what it's for.


A t-shirt


A notebook with a pen


A challenge coin


And best of all, a new knitting bag!


I didn't stay for the whole thing.  Once you've eaten, there isn't much else to do unless you have kids.  Oh, there's lots of stuff for the kids to do, but not much for the adults.  They have a bingo game, but nothing else. 

After I got home, I checked my oil again, and the level seemed to be holding, so maybe we're good to go now. 


Next up, getting my squeaky dryer fixed.  It's always something, isn't it?


No comments: