Monday, October 01, 2012

Monday, But No Music

Because I've actually got things to talk about today, so I don't have to cop out with a Music Monday.

It was a busy weekend of football watching here in the Fine Martial household.  I started off watching Texas A&M defeat Arkansas and get their very first SEC victory.  I didn't really have a dog in that fight, but it was on.

Next game was LSU vs. Towson.  Boy, I sure had hoped Zach Mettenberger would be an improvement at quarterback, but by the time that game was over, I found myself longing for the good ol' days of Jordan Jefferson.  Yes, it really was that bad.

The final game of the night was Texas vs. Oklahoma State.  Now, that was a good game.  It went right down to the wire, and Texas pulled it out on a last second touchdown.  I guess I'm going to have to revive an old tradition and start posting Gratuitous David Ash photos.  Won't be quite the same, but it is what it is.

Yesterday brought the first full day of Pro football with the regular officials back.  Everyone was glad to see them.  You had to feel sorry for Green Bay, though.  After that disastrously bad call last week that hastened the end of the lockout, they get stuck with none other than Jeff Triplette.

Despite that, they managed to knock off the Saints, dropping them to 0-4.

And what did I do while watching all this football? I knit a hat. 


Then I decided I ought to knit some child and youth sized hats, so I knit a smaller one.


I was strolling through the back yard, and picked some of the last remaining chilis and strung them up to dry.


I got a few cayennes, too, but I didn't take a picture of them.

A few weeks back, while I was waiting for the tech to fix my internet, I turned on the weather channel.  They had a show on about the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.  I remembered my dad had a book about it with a really cool title, so I got onto Amazon.com to see if I could find it.  I did.

But while I was there, I got to poking around and found a couple of other books I'd loved as a kid.  One was The Fireside Book Of Children's Songs.


At first, I wasn't sure it was the right book, but as soon as I opened it, I knew it was.  From the guitar guy on the first page,


to the Ghost Of John on the last,


I knew it was the beloved book I'd spent hours as a child reading.

And finally, a book I didn't think existed any more.  



At this point, I realized I had to get off the used book sites.  They are as dangerous to my bank account as yarn sites. 

No comments: