Saturday, October 27, 2012

I Haz Yarnz!

OK, here's the deal. My cousin had requested a cowl for Christmas, so I ordered yarn for it.

Silly me, I substituted Knit Picks Aloft for the Shibui Silk that the original pattern called for, but didn't check the yardage of the balls. Needless to say, I didn't get very far into the cowl before I realized I wouldn't have enough yarn.

So I ordered more yarn.


It's all Knit Picks Aloft, and the colors are mongoose, cranberry, silver, and oat.  And one lonely little ball of daisy.  See, I had decided I didn't really like that bright yellow strip in there like it was.


I don't know, it just seemed out of place, so when I ordered the next round of yarn, I decided to get some brown instead.  Brown seems to fit the original pattern better.


There's just one problem.  The yarn is the same color as my hair.

Notice I said it is the same color as my hair.  It is not the same color as what comes out of the bottle.  Still and all, I can't seem to shake the feeling that I am knitting with my hair.

It's kinda freaking me out a little bit.

Here, I'll distract myself with some Fall decorations...



There, that's better.

I'm going to keep the original rendition of the cowl and do something with it. I kind of have to.  One does not simply frog Aloft.

I'll probably just make a gradient striped cowl with what yarn I have left when I finish my cousin's cowl. It just won't follow the pattern, but that doesn't matter.  It'll still be a soft, squishy, warm bit of hand knit love. I'll give it to a sister or sister-in-law, since they haven't seen the picture.

My other major accomplishment of the day was to block my gingerbread scarf.  


Yes, it is a major accomplishment.  See, what you do is to soak the scarf in warm water, then pin it into shape and let it dry.  Scarves are difficult simply because they are so long.  Blocking the average scarf takes about 16 trillion pins.

16 trillion....see what I did there?

The difference between me and the government is that I stopped pinning when I ran out of pins.  Otherwise, I would have had to borrow some from China, and unlike our government, I hate to be beholden to anyone. 

Oh, and I did start another hat, I just didn't take a picture of it.

No comments: