Friday, October 19, 2012

Finally Friday

Finally, after weather and debates and dogs and all, I get to post what I was going to post Wednesday.

Beverly has requested this cowl for Christmas.  I don't know if I'm going to get it done by then.  She may get an IOU.

One thing I do know:  I'm not doing it in Shibui Silk Cloud.  That stuff hangs out at close to $20 per ball.  I found a kit for the cowl priced at $70.  That's a bit out of my budget.  I'm going to knit hers in Knit Picks Aloft.

Honestly, I've compared Aloft to some of the higher end yarns -- like Kidsilk Haze-- and I can't really tell the difference.  Aloft has slightly less silk than Shibui, and that's why I can afford it.  It's still a soft, fuzzy, warm yarn. 

Anyway, she had seen a photo on Facebook of one someone had knit, and the colors are slightly different from the ones in the pattern PDF.  I tried to pick colors as close to those as I could, and this is what I came up with.



The colorways are Daisy, Silver, Cranberry, and Oat.  First thing I had to do was to divide each ball into three smaller balls.  At this point, I was thinking that I should have just bought three balls of each yarn, and made three cowls, but it was too late for that.


The way you knit it is to hold three strands together, then every few inches, switch out one strand for a strand of another color.  Yes, it is the dreaded seed stitch, but it's lace weight on size 9 needles, so it's going pretty quickly.


Since I was ordering yarn for a good cause, I went ahead and ordered some size 9 circulars to knit charity hats in Red Heart. 


It's one of the thicker worsteds, and even size 8 needles make a pretty thick fabric.  I also got a size 10.5 circular, to do the Jayne hats with two strands of yarn held together.  The original hat -- the one in the TV show-- seemed to be either bulky yarn or two strands held together.  I'm gong to try making mine that way, so they'll be a little more authentic.

Though I've taken a break from my WIP list, I'm still plugging away at my socks


and still doing charity hats out of stashed Red Heart. 


But for right now, this cowl is my primary focus.

No comments: