Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One Of Those Days

It's been one of those days. You know, the days when absolutely nothing interesting has happened. Well, unless you want to hear about my semi-annual dentist appointment. No new cavities, but I do have a couple of old fillings that need reworking. Nothing interesting there.

After the dental appointments, Cody and I went by the new pet store that has opened up here in town. I wanted to find a stand to put Scarlett's new tank on. I was looking for one that would hold Blaze's tank on top, and Scarlett's on bottom. They didn't have one, but the owner is going to look online and see if she can get me one. If not, it'll be back up to Southaven. Cody wants a ferret, so he looked at ferret cages. But Cody and I talked about it. I told him that he might ought to wait until he gets his own place, because I was afraid Rylea might kill it. If you could see the way she goes after the squirrels in the yard... Anyway, the short version is Cody has decided to wait on a ferret.

Our final stop of the day was Wal-mart. I got a few Christmas things on clearance, including this


Dallas Cowboy tinsel. No bandwagon fan here. I'm in it for life.

The Trekking scarves are coming along nicely. I've gotten them both the same length and now I'm doing them two at once.


I found this pattern of hearts for my Dallas Cowboys yarn. I'll link it later. Ravelry is acting kooky right now.


The scarf is knit in two pieces and grafted together in the center so that the hearts are right side up when you wear it. The pattern calls for bulky weight on size 15s, but I'm doing it in worsted weight on size 10s. There is a garter stitch border, but the scarf was curling anyway, so I am blocking it to see if that helps. If it still curls after being blocked, I'll have to rip it and add a wider border.

Now, a new feature of my blog. I enjoy listening to audio books and so I thought every so often, when I've heard a particularly good one, I'd review it briefly here.

Listening to: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson When this story was first published in 1948, it shocked and frightened a lot of people. Despite the fact that sixty years later, we have become desensitized to death and violence, but this story is still creepy and disturbing. I first heard it in 11th grade. It had been removed from the textbooks, but my English teacher that year read it to us anyway. I read it again a couple of years later in college, but haven't read it since. However, this is a story that just stays with you. There is some discussion before and after the actual story is read, but it is brief and fairly interesting itself.

2 comments:

Carol said...

My very best wishes to you & your family for a happy & healthy 2009!

Becky G said...

Thanks Carol. And the same to you!