Friday, December 26, 2008

Gentlemen,

this is a football.--Vince Lombardi

It is also the name of the new book I received for Christmas. It is a book of football quotes complied by Eric Zweig. For today's post, I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you.

It was a time mix up. We started playing at nine o'clock, and the kickoff was at eight. --Houston Oilers Head Coach Bum Phillips

Detroit's so bad this year that they might lose their bye week.-- Comedian Dennis Miller

They overwhelmed one, underwhelmed ten, and whelmed one. --Sportswriter Red Smith writing on the Green Bay Packers, who finished 1-10-1 that year.

When in doubt, punt.--John Heisman

Football doesn't build character. It eliminates the weak ones. --University of Texas Coach Darrell Royal

Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the he** you're doing.--Peyton Manning

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas.--Don Meredith

The pads don't keep you from getting hurt. They just keep you from getting killed.--Defensive End Chad Bratzke

People get hurt all the time in football. It's part of what we do.--Linebacker Lawrence Taylor (most famous for breaking Joe Theismann's leg)

We try to hurt everybody. We hit each other as hard as we can. This is a man's game.--Linebacker Sam Huff

Football is not a contact sport. Football is a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.--Duffy Daugherty

When he goes on safari, the lions roll up their windows. --Offensive Line Coach Monte Clark on Larry Csonka

We're going to win on Sunday. I'll guarantee you.--Joe Namath

This one wasn't in the book, but I thought I'd add it in here, since it's one of my personal favorites:

We will win the ball game, and you can put it in 3 inch headlines. --Jimmy Johnson

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Bum Phillips and Don Meredith are my favorite.

Becky G said...

The Don Meredith one is definitely my favorite!