Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Like You Have To Worry

So, I was in the church library not too long ago, just browsing. There was only myself and the volunteer behind the check out desk in there.

She picked up a book which outlined a faith based fitness plan, and mused, "I wonder if this works." She is a bit on the heavy side. Then she looked at me and said, "Not like you have to worry about that."

But I do have to worry about gaining weight. I have to watch every bite that I put into my mouth. And I do mean every bite. People seem to think I can eat with impunity and magically stay thin, but I can't. There is no mystical quality about me that makes calories disappear when I eat them. I work hard at maintaining a healthy weight, and it irks me when I hear things like

It must be nice to be able to eat whatever you want.
Oh, you can just eat anything and not gain an ounce.
It must be nice not to have to worry about gaining weight.

And I always respond, "Yeah, it must be, but I wouldn't know."

So, next time you see a thin person, don't just assume they can eat everything in sight and magically stay skinny. No, they work hard at it. Give them credit for that.

.

2 comments:

Lizzie Woolley said...

It really depends on the person's metabolism. Some people can eat anything they want and still be skinny, like my brother. However, he's 18 years old. I remember when I was growing up, I could have ate anything in the world and not worry about it. Now, I have changed my thinking. I think most, if not all, people have to watch what they eat when they get older.

Becky G said...

There are few people who have that metabolism in which they can't gain weight. But they are not the norm. They are rare. In probably 99.999999% of cases, thin people are thin because they work hard at staying that way.