Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Basketball Movies

I know I said previously that I would review baseball movies next, but I changed my mind. I decided to do basketball movies, because I've seen fewer of them. Really, I've only seen three. All of them are based on true stories.

Hoosiers: It's been many years since I've seen this one. It is a pretty predictable movie about a new coach coming in to lead an underdog high school basketball to the state championship. I don't really remember much about it, but I remember that it was a fairly good movie.

Believe in Me: The story of a man hired to coach a boys basketball team in a small Oklahoma town in the 1960s. However, when he reports to his job, he discovers that the man who hired him has had a heart attack, and the man who replaced the guy has given that job to his nephew. The coach is told that he can either be an assistant coach (with the appropriate cut in pay), or he can coach the girls team. He reluctantly takes the job of coaching the girls, only to discover that it's a whole different ball game. Not only does he have to learn how to coach girls, but he has to battle a school board which believes that girls athletic programs are a waste of time and money. "Girls don't get scholarships. Girls don't draw crowds, " he is told, but he doesn't let that stop him. This is a good, clean family movie, with very little profanity and a good message.

Coach Carter: This is by far the best of the basketball movies I've seen. Coach Ken Carter is hired to turn around the boys basketball team in Richmond, California. When he gets there, he makes the boys sign a contract stating that they will maintain a certain GPA, attend all classes, sit in the front row, and wear a suit and tie to school on game days. Well, he gets the team to winning, only to discover that the boys are still failing, still cutting classes, and still getting into trouble. In a highly controversial move, Coach Carter padlocks the gym doors and forfeits the next game. He is finally ordered to remove the padlock, which he does, but what happens next may surprise you.

Now I'm not normally a huge basketball fan, but I did enjoy these three movies.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Basketball doesn't hold much interest for me and since I don't watch a lot of movies, I am not usually interested in basketball movies, but those sound pretty good.

Knit and fall back in it said...

I liked Coach Carter, I didn't see the other two though.

Buck said...

(Believe in Me) This is a good, clean family movie, with very little profanity and a good message.

And filmed in Portales/Clovis, too. You might have seen Jenny in it, had she not wound up on the cutting room floor.

mornin'lady said...

me,I know more about basketball than any other sport, probably why I like it best :) Thanks for the heads up on the movies. I'd like to see them.

Becky G said...

Lou, I would recommend all three, even if you don't like basketball too much. I don't, but I enjoyed all of these movies.

Amy, it was a good movie, wasn't it?

Buck, wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Too bad I didn't see Jenny. A couple of my cousins were extras in a direct to video movie called Vasectomy. You can see them toward the beginning of the movie, if you can find it, that is.

Dawn, if you like basketball, you're sure to like these movies!