Monday, May 12, 2008

What's In A Name?

CreateCraft is having a contest on her blog. She wants us all to tell how we came up with our blog titles. She's offering some really nice prizes, too. Head on over and check her out.

Most of you know how I came up with my blog title, but for my newer readers, I'll relate the story again.

I originally started blogging in November 2005. My purpose was to do a daily sketch and I thought posting it to a blog would help hold me accountable. As I was setting up my blog, I was required to come up with a title. Now, I'm terrible at such things, so I just threw Sketches And More up there as a working title. I would change it when I thought of something better.

Time went by, but my imagination was not inspired.

More time went by, and I became more and more dissatisfied with my blog title, but I still couldn't think of anything that gripped me. I briefly changed my title to Thank God For Rubbermaid, with the tag line A Phrase Often Uttered By My Sparring Partners. But it didn't quite fit.

I finally came up with an idea. I held a contest! I really did. I held a contest to get suggestions for a blog title. I got lots of good suggestions:


Playing With Sticks--Perpetual Beginner
Lethal Creativity--Scattered Gemini
Perfecting New Patterns--Sus
Fine Martial Fiber--also by Sus
Crafty Kicks--Frotoe
Way Of The Drunken Knitter--Gator
Enter The Knitting--Also Gator
Black Belt, Snake Wrangling, Knitter--Ruth
Karate Yarns--Lou

The winning title was Fine Martial Fiber, and was coined by Sus. It incorporates the three aspects of my arts--fine arts, martial arts, and fiber arts.

That's how I got my blog title.

3 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

That's interesting, the title of my blog derived from an old redneck saying commonly heard here in Oklahoma. It's a phrase one might use if someone or something had taken them by surprise or caught them off guard, "Well, I could just sh*t and fall back in it."

Being from the south I am sure you've probably heard that one before.

Buck said...

Hey! I was there for that! (The Naming of The Blog)

My blog name is a simple statement of fact. ;-)

Junk Diva said...

I started blogging to have a place to display my Junk Projects, hence the name. Since i have started I have only posted a few Junk projects, life keeps getting in the way of junk. Oh well......