Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stashalong Goals

I've decided to revise my stashalong goals. Not a tremendous change; just a slight one. I've decided to separate my yarn into categories.

The first category will be yarn for charity projects. I'm going to kind of give myself a bit more leeway in this category. Yarn bought or traded specifically to make charity projects will not count against me, provided I knit it all up before buying more. Like, all the yarn Shelly sent me to knit for Scarves From The Heart doesn't count as a strike, but I need to knit it up before buying any more yarn for charity scarves.

The second category is sock yarn. I know, most knitters say that sock yarn doesn't count as stash, but in my stash it does. My goal is to get my sock yarn stash down to 10 pairs worth and keep it around there. I can buy more, but I must knit down to 10 pairs worth before buying more again. Even though, right now, I have more than that, I've decided that for now, for every two pair of socks I knit, I can buy one pairs worth of yarn. So far in 2008, I've knit 3 and 9/10th pairs of socks. That means I can buy 2 pairs worth--once I get that last half inch done and bound off. After this, I must knit 2 pairs to be able to buy more yarn.

The third category is yarn bought to knit gifts with. If I buy yarn with a specific gift in mind, and knit it up promptly, it doesn't count as a strike. If I let it linger, and buy more yarn before knitting the gift, the second purchase will count as a strike.

The final category is everything else. Whatever I decide to knit, I must make a concerted effort to knit from stash. Right now I've got enough yarn in my stash that I shouldn't have to buy any more--not for a while. That shouldn't be too hard since I'm not one to be overcome by yarn fumes.

Looking back, I guess I haven't really changed my goals. Just clarified them a bit.

3 comments:

Inquiries said...

Interesting. It keeps your yarn buying in check as well as the unfinished projects. I think I need to do that with my painting,

Knit and fall back in it said...

I just got yarn money for my birthday, so I'll probably be buying more soon. My stash is not quite as out of control as some others I have seen, though. I only have enough sock yarn to knit about five or six pairs of socks and about 85% of the rest of my stash consists of left-overs from other projects.

Becky G said...

Ashley, yes, and it keeps the stash from taking over the house.

Amy, I used to be like that. Most of my stash was leftovers or projects that fell by the wayside. I didn't have much yarn. But THEN, my mother decided to clean out her stash and send it all to me. My stash suddenly exploded! Now my cousin is talking about doing the same thing. Oy...