Tuesday, May 06, 2008

You've Got Mail, Too!

In the form of a beautiful postcard from the lovely and talented Ashley who is vacationing in Hawaii.



I would love the pictures, and I would love to be there, too! But alas, a trip to Hawaii doesn't seem to be in the cards for this lifetime. I'll just have to keep watching Magnum.


Professional athletes. I don't see how they do it. I strained a tendon in my wrist at work last week. By yesterday, it still wasn't any better, so they sent me on to the doctor. He took some x-rays to confirm that no bones had been broken, and they weren't. He told me to wear my wrist brace, which I already had from a previous injury, ice my wrist down two or three times a day. And he prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication. Since I can't take normal anti-inflammatory medications, my doctor put me on --guess what?--steroids. Let me tell you, professional athletes must want it real bad because these things have some kick-*** side effects. I wanted to stay home from work today, but since that's not financially feasible, I went anyway. But once I got home, I haven't done anything but lay around and moan. And finish a charity scarf, but don't tell anyone. Well, no one from work anyway.

On the bright side, they work. Twenty four hours ago, I could barely move my hand. Now, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm still injured and not to overdo. I have almost full range of motion, with pain only at the extremes of said motion.

I the comments to a previous post, Buck and I have been having a bit of a conversation about my Navy days. He commented that he didn't really know much about my Navy days. That's my fault. I don't talk much about my past. Oh, I used to. It seemed for a while that every other sentence out of my mouth was, "I remember..." or "when I was..." It got so bad that I was even annoying myself. I said to my self one day, "Self," I said, "Do you have a life now,or do you only live in the past?"

That was a wake up call. I wondered what my friends thought of me. I didn't want to end up a Higgins. For those of you not familiar with the Magnum P.I series, one of the characters in the show is Jonathan Quayle Higgins, a short and rather tubby retired British army Sargent Major. Higgins is one of those who drones on and on about his life in the British Army while those around him are bored senseless, rolling their eyes, and sneaking off when his back is turned. I didn't want to be like that. I guess I went to the other extreme.

It's not that I mean to be secretive. I just don't want to bore people with the mundane details of my past.

So what do you think, Gentle Readers? Do you want to hear my reminiscing? Or will you be falling asleep at your computers?

7 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

The only thing missing in that post card is ME...I need to go there, now.

I hope your wrist heals quickly and you will be back to normal soon.

I would love to hear some of your stories.

Opal said...

If you email me your mailing address, I'd love to send you a care package once I'm home again. That's if you don't mind. :)

Bag Blog said...

I got my postcard too, but I'm not really up to posting it which would mean going back and forth from my computer to Jesse's.

When you have told about how you met your ex and other stories about your childhood, I always found them interesting.

Sus said...

You tell wonderful stories, Becky. I'd love to read more.

Buck said...

So what do you think, Gentle Readers? Do you want to hear my reminiscing?

As Willy The Shake sez: "The past is prologue." I enjoy war stories... Hell, I live for 'em. That might just be my age, or perhaps just a rationalization for MY blogging. Whatev. You tell great stories, Becky. I love 'em.

Sea-gal said...

First, I want to say thanks for visiting my new blog and for your encouragement! Then I would like to say I am a HUGE Magnum fan! As a matter of fact, I put the theme show ring on my husband's phone :)! I would be very interested in your reminiscing - carry on

Becky G said...

Amy, the only thing missing from that post card is you AND me!

Opal, Really!?!?!?!? OH yes, I'd LOVE a care package!!!! I love getting stuff in the mail!!!! Or from the Brown Truck Of Happiness With the Cute Driver! Off to e-mail you now.

Lou, I hope you feel better soon. We can wait to see your postcard until you're all well again. Most important thing is to take care of yourself.

Sus, thank you. You shall!

Buck, thanks. I love war stories, too. It was your stories of your past that first drew me to your blog. After I'd found you by clicking on the Next Blog button on my tool bar, that is. The stories kept me coming back.

Sea-gal, me, too! I love Magnum!

Thanks all of you. Now that I know I'm not boring you senseless, I'll be more open in the future.