Saturday, May 03, 2008

After The Storm

We weathered the storms just fine. There was a lot of wind damage in the area, but I haven't heard of any deaths--at least not locally. I know that there were some in Arkansas. Things got really bad around 1 AM, with lightning coming so fast and furious that it looked like daytime in the middle of the night. It just doesn't seem right, somehow, that this morning should bring a sky so clear and blue.


On such a beautiful day, I couldn't stay inside, so I went on a brief photo safari. I think this is my favorite photo of the day:

I spent the rest of the afternoon catching up on the Carrier episodes I missed, and knitting this scarf out of some of the yarn I got the other day.


This is Sullivans Sereno in Butter Cream colorway. There isn't a lot of yardage in these particular balls of yarn, so this scarf turned out kind of short. I've got three more balls of it, and so I cast on another that is a little wider. I'll use two balls on this scarf and make it longer. The third ball, I'll either pick out the bind off on the first scarf and add it to it, or maybe I'll make a keyhole scarf. I don't know yet.

I also spent a little more time working on these socks. I've gotten past the heel turn and into the leg.


I want to get both pair of socks done, because it is once again time to sign up for --yes


I want to start with a clean slate this year. Last year, I had several pair of socks already OTN, so even though I worked on them, they didn't count for SOS. Now I know a little more about what SOS is and how better to plan my knitting for it. Click the image to find out more.

Well, I know you are all anxious to find out who won the contest, so here goes:

The names were put into my Dallas Cowboy sideline cap:

and my gnarly hand drew one out:

And the winner is:
Kimothy Jones! Congratulations, Kim, you have been PMed.

This concludes the 2008 second quarter contest. The next one will probably be closer to fall, and will most likely have--you got it--a football theme. I'd better get to planning...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are okay! Love that photo of the flower. Funny how after such an ugly storm like that how it can clear up as if nothing happened. Around where I am, we're just getting a lot of cold gray days-- a stark contrast to the beautiful sunny days we were having for a while. Need that to end really soon. Tired of cold, dark weather already.

Knit and fall back in it said...

Congrats to Kimothy.

Love the clear blue sky and the little flower is just as pretty as she can be, isn't she?

Silverstar said...

Sorry about the storm you experienced. Crazy weather everybody's experiencing eh?
That flower photo is beautiful.:)

Buck said...

The composition in the flower photo is great... makes me think of a hot-air balloon rising from a deep green field.

I almost missed your "Carrier" reference, and your one-liner doesn't seem like much of a comment from an Ol' Navy Gal. Lex put up a post on the subject which has attracted 71 comments as of this morning, mostly from folks who have a LOT of experience on carriers, strangely enough. ;-)

An interesting read, if you're in to that sort of thing. And I am, of course. The playoffs have taken priority, tho. I'll catch up on the series when I can.

Becky G said...

Dani, I think I would take cold and dark over tornadoes and lightning any day!

KAFBII, thank you.

Silverstar, thank you. Crazy weather? Maybe, but typical in this area this time of year.

Buck, I'm not sure what you expected me to say. I've never been on a carrier, so what would I know about it?

In my day women weren't allowed on carriers or in combat situations. I think that, to me, is the most jarring thing about the show --seeing all the women in those situations.

I spent my entire enlistment either in school or in Italy--shore duty. I've never even been to sea. But if Cody hadn't come along when he did, and the ex left when he did--I'd probably still be in.

Buck said...

I spent my entire enlistment either in school or in Italy--shore duty. I've never even been to sea. But if Cody hadn't come along when he did, and the ex left when he did--I'd probably still be in.

Ah. I don't know much about the details of your Navy life, Becky. Now I know a bit more, and this explains it. I would imagine shore duty is a complete "'nuther world" compared to being at sea.

I haven't commented on the series at all (except for the comment I left at Lex's place), mainly coz I've only seen one episode. Priorities, ya know. ;-)

Opal said...

I signed up for SOS too. I hope this time I can keep to it a little bit better. It should be fun though! :)

Becky G said...

Buck, shore duty is a whole nother world. I don't talk much about my Navy days. I guess because I don't want to seem to always be living in the past. One day, though, I'll write a post about my experiences in the Navy.

I didn't want to comment too much on the Carrier series until I'd finished watching it, either. I'm about halfway through. When I get done, I'll share my thoughts.

Opal, I think I only knit 3 pair last year, but it was still fun. I'm glad you're along for the ride!