Thursday, May 29, 2008

Audio Books

Just a quick note about Librivox. The site provides free audio books that you can download, either to your computer or to your ipod. The books are read and recorded by volunteers across the country. They aren't professional actors or anything. They are just volunteers. Some of them can read well, others cannot. Not only that, but there can be several different readers reading the same book. Imagine my surprise when in Anne Of Green Gables, after hearing the book read by women, a deep booming male voice suddenly appears for a couple of chapters! Still, they are a lot of fun to listen to, and they are free.

Podiobooks is also free. The first book I listened to --Shadowmagic-- was very good. It was fantasy, and read entirely by the author. Although the books are free, there is a Paypal button so that you can make a donation, if you wish to.

There are other sites out there that you can pay to use. I know that at least some of them have professionally recorded audio books. Maybe in the future, I'll look into them. Right now, I've got my ears full with the free ones.

I needed a break from the shawl tonight, so I cast on the second Baudelaire. Finally.

P.S. Are you ready to hear about our summer project? Soon...I promise.

4 comments:

Inquiries said...

The free audio book is such a neat idea!

Dang dial-up!

Anonymous said...

I am a frequent user of Librivox but I had never heard of Podiobox. Thanks for the new source of pod fodder.

Sayeth said...

Glad to know you're enjoying Librivox and Podiobooks. My own blog reviews free audiobooks. The two sources you mentioned are the biggest sources, but there are several more places for free audiobooks out there. Happy listening!

Becky G said...

Ashley, have you checked with your public library? They may have books on CD that you could borrow.

Tabitha, you're welcome!

Listener, thank you for visiting my blog. I've checked yours out and you have some excellent reviews! I'll be sure to be back.