Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer In Mississippi

It is hot. Miserably so. Not a breath of air stirs to offer scant relief. The heat clings to your face, an acid that cannot be washed away. Heat that makes you want to claw your own skin off in a vain attempt to rid yourself of its presence.

It is humid. Miserably so. Mugginess creeps over you. A thousand tiny slugs leave their damp trails on your body. Everything is sticky. Your skin. Your clothes. Even your hair. At the end of the day, your clothes must be peeled from your body. For now, you must endure their grasping, clutching, tugging at your every move.

It is only May. Summer is yet to come. It will get worse before it gets better. Much worse.

It will be a long, hot, miserable time until Fall. Many months must pass before November comes with it's cooler temperatures. Before winter finally arrives, bringing with it the all too brief respite from the misery that is

Summer In Mississippi.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa, while I'm sure that is an accurate description of the weather down your way, it was so beautifully written! Are you sure your secret calling isn't as a author? When I read it, it read like one of those Southern novels, like a Tennessee Williams story or something like that at the beginning of a book...

Bag Blog said...

Although it has been a rather cool spring compared to the last few years, yesterday was hot and muggy. I broke down and turned on the air-conditioner because I was tired of sweat running down my body.

Junk Diva said...

You made me dread what is on the way for us here in Oklahoma. It has been a very pleasant spring here as Lou said. It is on the way, I am sure of it.

Buck said...

I second this. I have many, many memories... NONE of them pleasant... of summers in Biloxi. Most of which revolve around living in a non-air conditioned barracks, in a room with two other guys. "Miserable" ain't quite the word I'm looking for, but it will do.

You have my sympathies, Becky.

Unknown said...

Nice addition of the photo! I didn't see that originally.

Becky G said...

Dani, thank you. Calliope was inspired! There is a good reason you didn't notice the picture the first time. It wasn't there yet! I took that after karate, when I was good and sweaty.

Lou, my a/c runs all year round! I decided that since I was the one who was paying the electric bill, I wasn't going to be miserable.

JD, me, too! I dread summer every year. And it will get worse before it gets better. Much worse.

Buck, I hear ya! It's only May, and I'm already tired of being hot.