Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What In The World

Christmas decorations are already adorning the store shelves. I'm reminded of a woman I overheard in the Navy Exchange in Naples when I was stationed there. She was determined that she was not going to buy any Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. I had to laugh at her, because by Thanksgiving, there wouldn't be anything left. And there wasn't. Some people abhor the fact that Christmas decor is on the shelves long before the official start of the Christmas season. However, it makes sense, both from a retail standpoint and a decorating standpoint. Cody and I decorate the day after Thanksgiving, and if there is nothing in the store to buy before then, it makes it kind of difficult. It's no fun to try to rush out and buy the stuff, then come home and put it up.

When we were growing up, we didn't put our tree up until the Saturday after school let out. We'd get up and put up our family tree, then we'd go over to my Mammaw's house and put her tree up.

Mammaw had three children, Aunt Martha, Aunt Bonnie, and my dad. When Aunt Martha was 16 years old, she worked at Perry Brothers Five and Dime store. That Christmas, she bought an angel for the top of Mammaw's Christmas tree.


(Not actual angel--I don't have a picture of it.)

Long years later, after Aunt Martha and Aunt Bonnie were married and had children of their own, Mammaw decided that the angel was getting a little old and ragged and needed to be replaced. She bought a different ornament to put on the top of her tree that year:


(Not actual Ornament--I don't have a picture of that one either.)


Aunt Bonnie was married and living in Dallas with her husband and children, but they still came home for Christmas. If not on Christmas Day, they were there soon afterwords. My cousin Tommy Gene was 15 that year. As soon as he walked into Mammaw's house and saw the new ornament, he exclaimed,

"What in the world is that monstrosity???"

The next year, the angel was firmly back in place, and remained there until Mammaw died in 1987 at the age of 91.

Nobody ever saw the monstrosity again.


(Not actual Monstrosity.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the story --- sounds a LOT like one of our family stories with christmas-tree toppers!

thank you for sharing

sunshine

Becky G said...

This story has become part of our family lore. I was telling my cousin about how when I was overseas, I couldn't find an angel or star tree topper that I liked.

"I had to put a monstrosity on my tree that year," I told her. She knew exactly what I was talking about.