Saturday, November 18, 2006

Golly What A Day

I'd actually planned on taking things a bit easy today, but I ended up busier than ever! I won't bore you with the details of lugging four loads of laundry over to B's , or of copying my band night tape onto 5 DVDs so B can take them to Texas only to discover that she'd left early this morning...


No, I'll start when the excitement did--when J came home from hunting with this goodly sized buck. Yes it is a spike (and yes they are legal in MS), but it was a big buck none the less.



J and his younger son M cleaned it,

And Cody gave me this look when I suggested he help.

Today's was a beautiful, cloudless blue. This is what it looked like from B and J's house:

After all that, I came inside and blocked this scarf, which will be my sister's Christmas present.


I nearlykilled lost my dog over this one. I washed the scarf and started pinning it out to dry in the snake/computer room, using about a gazillion pins. I was about 3/4 done when the dog walked in and put two huge muddy footprints right in the middle of said scarf. After a few choice words I'll not repeat here, I unpinned the gazillion pins, rewashed the scarf, and started pinning again. This time, I shut the door despite the supplemental heat for the snakes making the room uncomfortably warm with the door closed.

About the time I got finished, Cody requested that we go shopping in the next town up the highway. Since we needed to get him a long sleeve white t shirt for band anyway and I can't find one in Grenada, we went.

The first place we went to is Wal-mart. Since Batesville is a bigger town than Grenada, they often have things we don't get down here, and well, our Christmas stockings were getting a bit bedraggled anyway...


Baltimore...uh Indianapolis Colts for Cody,


and Dallas Cowboys for me. I'm a die hard Dallas Cowboy fan. Not the Cowboys of today, mind you, but the old Cowboys. The Tom Landry Cowboys. The Cowboys of Roger Staubach and Drew Pearson. The Doomsday Defense Cowboys of Harvey Martin, Randy White, and Ed "Too Tall" Jones. The Cowboys of Back in the Day...
Speaking of back in the day, there was a girl at work yesterday who had a t-shirt on. It said "Back in the Day" and had a picture of Pac-man on it. I had to laugh. I could have a Back in the Day t-shirt with Pong on it. Buck could have one with an abacus on it.
Finally, I finished off the evening making a batch of these cookies:

I just love those cookie stamps. I'd always gotten so frustrated with regular cookie cutters because they never acted like I wanted them to. But these stamps are soooo easy, and turn out just right every time.
For your recipe of the day, this is the recipe I use with my stamped cookies:
Butter Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, one cup at a time, until well blended. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and stamp. Bake at 350' for 8-10 minutes.
These are not really sweet cookies. They're more like a tea cake, but are one of our holiday favorites.
*
*

5 comments:

Sus said...

Lovely sky, and an impressive buck! Mmmm, summer sausage. :) Your butter cookies sound a lot like my favorite holiday cookie -- Spritz. You put them through a cookie press and sprinkle colored sugar on them. They're awesome (and can be found in the most awesome cookbook -- Better Homes and Gardens!!!). Enjoy your treats!

Bag Blog said...

I was the Queen of Pong. Actually, foosball was my game. I could play all night long on two dimes with people challenging me and my partner.

Hmm, I can't wait to see what Buck says about that abacus comment.

Becky G said...

Sus, I actually have that cookbook. I went and looked up the Spritz recipe and there is only one ingredient difference. The butter cookies don't have any baking powder, so they don't puff up as much.

Lou, my dad got a Pong game for Christmas the year they came out. We thought it was the niftiest thing. I never got into foosball, but during my Navy days, I was quite the pool shark. I don't think I've played since I got out.

I'm waiting for Buck's wisecrack, er, comment, too.

Buck said...

Buck could have one with an abacus on it.

I actually own one. An abacus. And I know how to use it, too.

:-)

Becky G said...

Wow! And it's lasted this long????