Monday, November 27, 2006

No More Fish

We had a minor tragedy here this morning. I used to keep fish--lots of fish. When I started getting interested in reptiles again, I decided that I would get out of the fish keeping business. As each fish died, I simply wouldn't replace it and once a tank was empty, it could be converted to a herpetarium. That's what I did, and for the last year or so, I've only had 5 little corydoras left in a 10 gallon tank. These are like the immortal fish. I don't think they'll ever die. They've got to be at least 8 years old.

This morning, I discovered that their tank had developed a slow leak. Not wishing to spend the money for a new tank since I wouldn't be keeping fish any more anyway, I gave them to Mike. Actually, I talked to Dennise and asked her if she thought Mike would want them. "Yeah," she replied, "he probably would. He's such a fish-a-holic." So I bagged the little buggers up and took them down there to him. They are now happily swimming in a new tank, and I have more counter space in my kitchen.

I joined a new Knit-A-Long yesterday evening. I love doing dish/washcloths, and so this one seemed just perfect:


This one is a true KAL in that you are sent a few lines of a pattern each day for about a week, and when you are done, you have a beautiful and functional dishcloth. They do two patterns a month, and when they are finished, they post the pattern in its entirety. Since I was way behind for the month, I whipped this one out last night while watching Indianapolis run all over Philadelphia.



It's a poinsettia, if you can't tell from the picture. I had a devil of a time getting a picture that would show the details of this cloth. This one isn't that great, but it is actually the best one I got.

The second pattern for the month is a textured or patterned one. This will be great for using up my cotton stash, which I don't have much of anyway. Well, except for those two cones I bought on clearance...

I finally cashed my birthday checks (my birthday was two weeks ago) and this is what I bought:


It is a vacuum sealer. The first thing I did was to reseal some of the snakes' mice so they would stay fresher longer. This'll be really handy to have around. I'm off to find some more stuff to seal up.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I recognized the poinsettia right off. Very nice. Hmm, resealed mice - sounds...interesting.

Becky G said...

I'm glad you could see the pattern. I just couldn't seem to get a picture that did the cloth justice.

Funny thing about the sealer... as I was frantically looking for something else to seal, Cody walked by and said, "Come on, Mom. It's not like it's a power tool or something!"