Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Day

You know, I'm a grown woman, and not given to displays of emotion anyway. So why is it that every year when Santa enters Harald Square I still cry? Yes, we do watch the parade. It is one of the highlights of the day. And yes, I really do tear up when Santa makes his appearance. Every year. I am so embarrassed...


And so another Thanksgiving day passes into history. This year had a bit of a somber tone to the day. One of B's best friends lost her husband in an automobile accident Tuesday evening. The visitation was today, and the funeral will be tomorrow. Though we had plenty to be thankful for, Karen was never far from our thoughts. Nor were her two step sons, Joey and Benjy who had already lost their mother several years ago and are now faced with losing their father. Both boys are in their 20's.


Our family dinner was small, with just the four of us. M, D, and the girls spent the day with D's parents. They were going to come over later in the day, but what with Tom's visitation, I don't know if they did.

On the menu: smoked turkey, dressing, broccoli salad, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn, strawberry jello salad, and cranberry sauce.

J carved the turkey, while Cody helped set the table.

And we all enjoyed dinner. For dessert, we had sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and mincemeat pie.

This is what Cody looked like after eating all that food:

and I have to admit, I felt about that way myself.
After dinner, of course there was football and knitting. I only found two games on, but the movie Babe was on, and Cody had never seen it, so we watched that during the Miami-Detroit game. After that, we watched Dallas beat Tampa Bay. It's always a good day when Dallas wins.

While relaxing in front of the TV, I finished Aunt Bonnie's Prayer shawl. This was made with a skein and a half of Red Heart Classic in light mint. It's pretty big, and surprisingly soft. I feel like I should make another one for Karen, though I didn't really know her all that well. I feel like this may be my ministry. Two years ago, a family in my church lost their 17 year old son in a car wreck. I made my very first prayer shawl for Doris. Later on, she told me that of all the expressions of sympathy, all the food given, all the flowers, and prayers offered, that shawl meant more to her than anything else. Flowers die, food gets eaten (or spoiled), visits eventually stop , but a prayer shawl can comfort someone forever.

And I actually got another Lonesome Skein project done.




This scarf was a skein of Red Heart Strata self patterning yarn. I don't remember the name of the colorway, and I've long since discarded the ball band. I bought it because I wanted to see how it knitted up, but I was very disappointed in the texture of the yarn. It is very stiff and coarse. I hope it will soften up a bit when I wash it, but I don't hold much hope of that happening. Still, it's pretty and I have a couple more skeins of that type of yarn in different colorways. Next time I think I'll use bigger needles. That way the knitting will be looser and may feel a bit softer.



A couple of things I've been forgetting to mention. First off, Cody made first chair in first band. First band gets to play slightly harder music than second band. I'm very proud of my little musician.

The doctor's office called yesterday and all the tests they did on me Monday came back ok. My sugar was ok, but my cholesterol was a bit high. I expected that because I forgot that I wasn't supposed to eat. I have to go for an upper GI in the morning, so I'm off to bed now.

Wishing all my readers a very happy Thanksgiving, and even more to be thankful about next year.
*
*



3 comments:

Buck said...

Sounds like (looks like, too!) your T-Day was a success! And all that food looks scrumptious!

Bag Blog said...

It was such a beautiful day in TX that no one really watched much football. Instead, we went out and had our traditional family game of "two-below" football. I have never had sweetpotatoe pie. We usually just do pecan, pumpkin and all sorts of other desserts.

The prayer shawl looked great. Sorry about your friend's husband. A few years ago, a good friend lost her husband the week after T-Day leaving behind two daughters. It was pretty hard on all of us. My heart goes out to you and your loss.

Becky G said...

Thank you Buck, and Lou, you need to try some sweet potato pie. For the record, I'd never tasted it until just a few years ago. My mother never made them, and the first one I ate was the first one I made.

Patti, I like those colors, too, and the scarf softened up considerably when I washed and dried it. I would be delighted to take your extra yarn off your hands. I will definitely use it, though it may be a while until I get to it.