Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Guess Who?

Guess who finally showed up today? That's right. The washing machine repairman. After waiting over a month, it took him about two minutes to fix my machine. It wasn't but a wire that had come loose from the starter switch. I could have told them that. Actually, I probably could have fixed it myself, but I figured that if I tried to work on it I would have voided the warranty.

Funny thing, the guy said he'd have been here long time ago except that they'd been trying and trying to call me and I wouldn't answer the phone. I'm afraid I had to throw the BS flag on that one. I checked my caller ID on both phones, and his number wasn't on either. Then he said they'd been trying to such and such number, which was my cell phone, because they didn't have my home phone number. Again, I had to throw down the BS flag. When I called them way back in October, the girl who answered told me that he'd been trying to call. At that point, I gave them my home phone number, since I can't get cell reception at work. I was thinking they could leave a message if I wasn't home. So they had my home and cell numbers. No excuse there. At least not one I'm buying.

The guy apologized for the confusion, and told me that the one I'd talked to before was his son-in-law Matt. The one who came today owned the business, and Matt had been trying to help him out with it some. From the tone of his voice and the look on his face, I gather he is none too pleased with Matt's help.

No matter, I finally have a working washer again, and put it to use washing Cody's sheets--the only thing left that was dirty, since I'd washed this morning at B and J's house.

After they left, I put together my Sweet Potato Delight, but I won't bake it until in the morning. With the leftover potatoes, I made a sweet potato pie. MMMMM....





Some of you may be wondering why I don't post the recipe of what I made that day. Well, the simple truth is, when I decided to post daily recipes this week, I got my cookbooks out and typed them all in the same day. I just saved each post as a draft, and am publishing it on the appropriate day. So, the posts don't always coincide with what I cooked that day. But no matter. They're there, and that's what counts.




That being said, now for the recipe of the day:

What would Thanksgiving be without pumpkin pie? I usually use the recipe from the back of the Pumpkin can.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz) LIBBY'S 100% pure pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie shell

Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a small bowl. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake in a preheated 425' F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350'F; bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Since this always makes more filling than the pie crust will hold, I put the rest in custard cups and bake them like a custard. It usually fills up two cups, and they are a big treat around our house.


Have a very Happy Thanksgiving everyone, filled with food, football, friends and family. Love to all of you!
*
*

1 comment:

Becky G said...

He's busted, but at least my washer works now! I got that phrase from watching Dr. Phil, only he doesn't use the initials...