Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My Little Chef

Our mission today was to make a pumpkin pie. Cody asked if he could help, and I told him to go for it.

So with minimal supervision and a bit of instruction, my little chef made his first pumpkin pie.

Cody isn't much for cooking, but he does like to bake. He was mighty proud of this pie. Looks good, doesn't it?


Buck paid me the nicest compliment on his blog today. He said,

I strongly suspect Becky is one of those women near and dear to my heart: a Southern cook...and most likely a great Southern cook, from the look of things.

Aww, thanks, Buck. Not to sound braggadocious, but I do a fairly decent job of following a recipe. I've even been known to make up stuff from time to time. I sometimes season meat with the "sniff and dump" method. That is where I take the spices off my shelf, sniff them, and if I think the smell like what I want, I dump some on the meat. (Long years ago, when B was out of town, J came over to my house and asked what I was fixing for lunch. I was making Manwiches, and he started dumping spices and stuff into the meat. It ended up being the awfullest tasting stuff I ever put into my mouth. It was so bad, the dog wouldn't even eat it. J ate a whole plate and didn't complain, but neither did he ask for seconds. He's never helped me cook since.)

Funny thing is, my mother was not a good cook. She cooked everything...well...well done. Hamburgers like hockey pucks. Cookies that had to be soaked in milk to make them soft enough to eat. Roast beef like boot leather. Moreover, she did not want me to help her cook. Not only could I not help, I was not even allowed in the kitchen while she was cooking. She always said it was more work to try to get me to do anything right than to just do it herself. As a result, I didn't learn to cook until I was grown.

I remember having a conversation with my Mammaw when I was about 12. She was appalled that I didn't know how to cook yet. She informed me that her daughters could cook entire meals by that age. What could I tell her?

So I didn't learn to cook until I was grown. I sort of taught myself out of necessity, but I just seem to have a knack for it.

I'm a good cook, like football, and hate to shop--especially for clothes. Who'da thunk I'd still be single after all that?


As you may remember, yesterday I made my first pecan pies. This is the recipe I used. It was printed in the Dear Abby column of the local newspaper some 10 years ago. I've kept it all these years, and finally got around to making it:

Abby's Famous Pecan Pie


9 inch unbaked pie shell
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping cup pecan halves


Heat oven to 350'.


In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, and vanilla; mix well. Pour filling into pie crusts sprinkle with pecan halves. Bake at 350' for 45-50 minutes or until center is set.


*

4 comments:

Dale said...

Becky,
I'm glad Buck mentioned your Blog today!! What a site, and to see that you are a Cowboy's fan on top of all of that! WOW!! I bleed silver and blue and I raised my children that way too. We have two grandsons, one named Dallas and his brother is named Landry. Yep we got it bad!

Anyway, I love your site with the recipes and all! Sorry about our Hogs victory over your Bulldogs. I'm hoping we can sweep the SEC!

Have a Great Thanksgiving and May God Bless you and yours!!

Buck said...

I'm a good cook, like football, and hate to shop--especially for clothes. Who'da thunk I'd still be single after all that?

That is indeed a mystery for the ages!!! What IS it with Mississippi men?

Bag Blog said...

I saw a news piece where more and more mothers are matchmaking for their children who do not have time to go and search for just the right person - who better than your mother to find you a man. I was thinking about putting Jesse on www.matchmakingmother.com. Maybe I will add you too and see what happens. Just teasin!

Hey that is the same pecan recipe I am using today - my dad's favorite. Happy T-Day!

Becky G said...

Ahhh, Buck, if only men around here were as charming as you!

Lou, I know who I would be married to if my mother could have chosen my husband. It was a guy that went to our church when I was young. I wasn't attracted to him at all. He was overweight, unattractive, and dorky. I didn't like him, even as friends. But we had the same birthday, and my mother loved him. She told me once that we ought to get married on our birthdays, that way we'd only have one date to remember.

Boy am I glad my mother didn't pick my mate. I can't say as I've done much better, but I'd rather be without a man than to be with the wrong man.