Monday, November 06, 2006

Appliance Repair Woes

The washing machine repairman didn't show up again today. I called them back and the lady in the office told me he was working that way. About an hour later, I got a phone call from Matt, the repairman from HOULKA APPLIANCE REPAIR stating that he'd ordered a part for my washer and it had been backordered. First off, I asked him how he knew what was wrong with my washer when he hadn't even been out to look at it. He said, "Well, you said it wouldn't come on. That usually means it's the timer and motor." Basically, he is guessing. He said as soon as the part came in, he would call me and let me know. I asked him how long it would take, because I've already been waiting two weeks. He said he didn't know. The part could be in today, or it could be in Friday. He just didn't know.

I'd just about had enough, so I fired off this little beauty of an e-mail to the GE company:

Dear GE company,

Two months ago, I purchased a brand new GE washer, model number WDSR2080DAWW. After only approximately 6 weeks, it quit working. When I pulled the knob to turn it on, nothing happened. I came to the GE.com website and requested a service call. The site gave me the name and number of a service contractor, Houlka Appliance Repair, phone number 1-662-568-7014, and informed me that he would contact me with 1-2 business days to set up an appointment. I waited three days and no one called. I then called the GE 800 number to request a service call, thinking maybe there had been a glitch in the computer system. I spoke with a very polite young man who set me up another service call and again informed me that Houlka appliance repair would contact me within a specified time. When they didn't, I finally called them and set up an appointment and a back up appointment, in case he couldn't get to me the first day. He never showed up for either one, and didn't call to inform me as to why he didn't show. Thinking he was just very busy, I waited another day, then called them back and set up a THIRD appointment. Five hours after the third appointment came and went, he finally called me, saying he'd gotten hung up on another job, and asked if he could come another day. I told him it was OK, but he never showed up for the FOURTH appointment, and this time he didn't call or anything.

Today, I called them back and was told by someone in the office, "He's working that way." I asked her if he would be here today, and she responded that yes, he would. About an hour later, I was called by Matt, who informed me that he'd ordered a part for my washer and it was back ordered and he didn't know when it would be here, but he'd call me and let me know. I asked him how he knew what was wrong with my washer when he hadn't even been out to look at it. He essentially said that he was guessing. I asked him how long it would take for the part to arrive, and he said he didn't know. It could be here today, or it could be here Friday. He just didn't know.


I have been waiting two weeks for someone to come fix my brand new GE washer that shouldn't be broken in the first place. And now I'm told I will have to wait even longer. I know you may say that he's a contractor and you don't really have any control over what he does, but he represents your company, and frankly he's making General Electric look bad. And frankly, the whole situation is making me seriously reconsider ever purchasing a GE product in the future.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

R**************
A former GE customer

That ought to get a fire lit under someone's pants.

1 comment:

Lizzie Woolley said...

Why don't you return it back and get a new one?