Sunday, October 01, 2006

Roots Eye View



of an oak tree that sits in my front yard. Speculation is that this giant is some 200 years old. These pictures don't provide enough perspective for you to see that it would take three of me to link arms around the trunk of it. Local legend has it that this tree was planted by Native Americans as part of a line of trees delineating one nation's territory. I have no way of authenticating that, though.


The broken limb visible in the second photo was dropped on my front porch (of the old house) about 2 1/2 years ago. I was sitting on my couch when it happened, but I didn't stay there. It sounded like someone shot a cannon off in my front yard, it was so loud. The limb was as big around as most trees around here are. We got some good firewood from it for a cub scout camp out.


What is it with people who bring babies into church then spend the entire hour going,

"SHHHHH!"?

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against babies in church. I don't even mind the noise they make. They're babies, after all. It's what they do. But if the parents or grandparents are so upset by their noise that they are going to shush them the entire hour, why don't they just take them to the nursery? Don't they realize that their shushing is more distracting than the baby?


Otherwise, it's been a pretty quiet day...

2 comments:

Buck said...

Wow, Do I ever love big ol' trees! That's one of the things I miss, living where I do. I had large oak trees in my yard in Michigan, very similar to what you've pictured here, Becky. Given they were old, I feared strong storms for the very reason you cited in this post...

Becky G said...

I love big old trees, too. And, yeah, the new house is out from under the trees, for that reason!