Friday, October 27, 2006

Three Things I Learned Today

1. I think I might be mildly allergic to aspirin. I took some this morning for my toothache pain and experienced the same symptoms I have when I eat eggs or get stung by red wasps. They weren't as intense, but enough to keep me from taking aspirin again.

2. The reason the Orajel hadn't been working on my toothache is because the break which exposes the nerve is below my gum line. If I put some Orajel on my toothbrush and scrub it down in there really well, it does work--as well as Orajel can work, that is.

3. I may be allergic to, of all things, dental wax. You know, I'd heard that you can be allergic to anything, but there are some things you just don't think about having allergies to. I'd read on a website that you can put dental wax on the sharp edge of a broken tooth to keep it from rubbing your tongue raw. I decided to try it. About the third time I put it on my tooth, within oh, say 30 minutes, my tongue, gums, and cheek next to my broken tooth were absolutely on fire. Not to mention I just felt sick, weak, and I was wondering how I was going to last through the day. I pulled the dental wax off my tooth, and immediately began feeling better. It took a while for the soreness in my cheek and tongue to go away, but the weakness and wooziness passed almost immediately. Of all things...

Well, that brings my list of strongly suspected allergies to:

  1. eggs
  2. oranges
  3. red wasps
  4. honeybees
  5. aspirin
  6. dental wax

Fortunately, I'm not (so far) anaphylactic to any of them. But with allergies, you never know.

I'm going to take a Benadryl tonight before going to bed to try to clean any residual effects out of my system. And I'm going to throw the dental wax in the garbage.
*
*
*

4 comments:

Buck said...

Perhaps it's something in the dental wax, Becky? Some coloring or flavor additive? I do so sympathize with you...dental pain is terrible, and I know from whence I speak. Hang in there!

Perpetual Beginner said...

Allergies are funny things. You can quite literally be allergic to anything. I have an allergy to Claritin - and I know someone who's allergic to Benadryl. My dad's allergic to mercury (yes, the metal).

If you're allergic to aspirin, though, you should be careful about NSAIDS (basically everything but Tylenol). They're all related, chemically speaking.

Sus said...

The thing I think is so weird about allergies is that they can appear at any time in your life. Like, just waking up one day and suddenly being allergic to something you weren't before. I've been lucky so far, but you just never know!!

Hang in there!!!

Becky G said...

Buck, I'd thought of that, too. But whatever is causing it, I just know I won't be using that stuff any more. And thank you. I am hanging in there as best I can. Eleven more days until I can get the thing fixed!

Cindy, I know someone who is allergic to Benadryl also. I thought that was the supreme irony--being allergic to an anti-allergy medicine. I usually take Advil, which doesn't bother me. I know it is chemically close to aspirin, which is why I'm now wondering if it was the dental wax I was reacting to rather than the aspirin. Still, I think I'll stick with what I know is safe.

Sus, I know what you're saying, too. My son had been stung by bees lots of times, then about 18 months ago, he got stung and had an anaphylactic reaction. Now, that was scary. I never knew my little GMC Jimmy could drive so fast! Cody was in awe when I told him. He said, "You drove a hundred miles an hour???"

What is also bad is being allergic to something (eggs) your whole life and not making the connection until you are in your 40s. Though I still haven't actually been tested by a doctor, I know how they make me feel when I eat them. That is enough for me to avoid them. At least now I know why I used to get so deathly ill when I was in the Navy and had to get the flu shot every year.