Monday, August 07, 2006

A Thing Or Two

First off, before anyone gets his knickers in a knot, let me explain something. In Thursday's post, I mentioned that the Japanese term "yamay" means attention. This is not strictly true. The word literally means stop, but in that particular context, the English word attention better expresses the idea being put forth. That is why I translated it that way.

What is it with men? Why can't they just believe what you tell them? As most of you know, I had to put my car in shop to get the brakes fixed. Thursday evening when I took it in, the mechanic told me I needed my right front hub replaced. Ok, fine.

When J came to pick me up, he asked what was wrong with the car, and I told him what the guy said--my right front hub needs replacing. Then he started in--it could be the rotor, bearings, the drum, a caliper hanging up, it could be this, it could be that....

For two days I listened to what all it could be. Then the mechanic called J to tell him my car was ready, and he talked to him. When he was driving me down to pick up my car, he told me,

"Your right front hub needed replacing."

Uh, isn't that what I said in the beginning?

4 comments:

frotoe said...

That is hilarious/infuriating- and so true about men.

Buck said...

What is it with men? Why can't they just believe what you tell them?

I literally laughed out loud at that. But, Becky: We FIX things. That's what we do! And part of fixing stuff is getting all the info, ya know.

Step One: Define the problem.

:-)

Becky G said...

Yeah, Buck, it's true that you FIX things. It's also true that you have to figure out what to fix all by yourselves, even when someone told you the answer already. C'mon, you can't deny that! I guess that goes along with the never ask directions and never read instructions thing...

;)

Buck said...

C'mon, you can't deny that!

I'm not denying it, not at all. It's just the way we work. And there's a reason for that ol' cliche: "When all else fails, read the book." Once again, it's the way we work!

:-)