Wednesday, August 09, 2006

First Day of School

Cody started school this morning. Since I have to leave for work about 15 minutes before the bus comes, I left him on the couch looking much like this:

He got home in a much better mood, but you know boys. They wouldn't admit they liked school even if they did. He had a little bit of homework and actually did it without having to be told.

I accidentally brought James' gi top home last night. Well, he left first, so he got mine, and I grabbed his not knowing it. All the way home, I was thinking, "This gi top really stinks. It's picked up the smell of James' stinky feet." It wasn't until I went to fold it that I saw all the patches and realized it was his. Now, James doesn't like to wash his gi. When it starts smelling, he just sprays it down with Febreze. Five weeks worth of human sweat combined with Febreze makes an indescribably repulsive smell. I threw that thing in the washer by itself first thing this morning and hung it on the line in the fresh air all day. It smells better now than it has in months!

Sensei didn't bow us in last night. I guess we already got our one and only moment of respect from him.

5 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

We had our first day of school today also. It went pretty well, except for a teacher mix-up. What is it with boys, though? Even though Robbie plainly had a pretty good time, all he'll say is "It was OK."

Good lord - I cannot imagine a gi unwashed for that long! My husband's would stink after one class, I can't imagine what it would have smelled like after months to accumulate and nurture the stench.

Grr to your sensei. We don't bow to entering black belts the way you guys do, but we don't do it for any black belt. To bow for one, but not for others is definitely disrespectful.

Mathieu said...

"To bow for one, but not for others is definitely disrespectful."

indeed.

Buck said...

Five weeks worth of human sweat combined with Febreze makes an indescribably repulsive smell.

The mind boggles...I can't fully grasp this, at all. Nor do I want to!

:-)

Becky G said...

What is it with boys, though? Even though Robbie plainly had a pretty good time, all he'll say is "It was OK."

Wonder of wonders, Cody came home today and said he tought he might actually like school this year!

To bow for one, but not for others is definitely disrespectful.

Thank you Cindy and Mat. I almost didn't want to mention it because it felt a little like fishing for compliments. But it does bug me that sensei doesn't give me the respect I feel I deserve. I worked just as hard for my belt as Mr. Tedder did, and I deserve the same show of respect. Sensei didn't bow us in tonight either.

The mind boggles...I can't fully grasp this, at all. Nor do I want to!

No, you don't. Trust me on this one.

Becky G said...

I tend to cut James a little slack on the gi thing. After all, he is only 15 and his parents make him do his own laundry. But when the smell gets too strong, I start letting him know it's time.