Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Approved!

I have been approved by Grenada Planning and Zoning to replace my mobile home, though for a while there, I didn't think it would happen.

Ok, it was like this: I was first on the agenda and they called me up to the podium. I presented my case, and the chair called for a motion to approve. One man so moved, but then they had some discussion. One lady brought up the point that a former city council had told P & Z not to make a decision on these types of situations, but to refer them to the city council and they would decide on a case by case basis. Seems there were some lawsuits brought against the city in the past by the Mississippi Association of Manufactured Homes, and they had enacted that instruction to protect the city. The thing is, all that happened some ten years ago, and it has long been settled. But neither P & Z nor the city council had ever changed the policy. They were still following the same old antiquated procedures that didn't really apply any more.

About that time, just as I was beginning to despair, an older, white haired gentleman got up and stood next to me at the podium and began arguing with P & Z. He was saying that we have a new city council now and we need to move on with this. He also said that coming before the city council is supposed to be the appeal process, and that by automatically sending everyone on like that P & Z is denying citizens their due process. There was some more arguing discussion, but a lot of it was over my head. But he made his point and the lady rescinded her objection.

But then, this other guy on P & Z said that it didn't matter whether she rescinded her objection or not, they still had to follow the procedures outlined for them by the old city council. The white haired gentleman began arguing the same points with that guy, another man in the audience stood up and started arguing, too and a third man, though not standing up and arguing, was quietly expressing his support and offering suggestions. The second man was saying that everyone who comes before the city council with this type of request is approved, and all P & Z is doing is delaying what is going to happen anyway. He said they needed to start approving these requests so that people could get on with their lives. Well, the guy on P & Z said that though they wanted to approve my request, they just didn't have the authority to do so. At that point, the gentleman from the audience pointed to the white haired guy who was still standing beside me and said, "He can give you the authority to approve it." So the white haired gentleman told them to approve my request, and that he would get the instruction officially changed in writing tomorrow and make it retroactive to today.

More discussion followed, and finally P & Z voted to approve my request. The whole time, I was wondering who in the world are these people arguing for me. Turns out the white haired gentleman was Syndey Runnels, Grenada City Manager, and the other two were also on the City Council. I find it so ironic and kind of funny that P & Z was saying they couldn't approve my request because they might get into trouble with the city council, but half the city council (well almost half--there are 7 council members) was in there telling them to approve it. Anyway, the chairman called for a vote, and it was approved 4-1. The old biddy who started the whole mess was the only one who didn't vote yes. I asked J if she was always like that, and he said, "Oh, yes!"

At one point during the discussion, I presented my petition which all my neighbors had signed. The lady asked me if this encompassed everyone who lived within 160 feet of my house. I quietly and politely said, "Yes, Ma'am" but inside I was thinking, "Lady, there ain't nobody within 160 feet of me!"

It was a very interesting process, but the point is, I'm getting a new house! Tomorrow after Cody gets off the bus, we are going to go order it. I'll try to get pictures of the model to show you. It'll take two to three weeks for a special ordered house to be built, then another week to 10 days for them to deliver it and set it up. I can't wait!

Oh, a guy at work had seen my name in the paper yesterday. It was just a little note saying that P & Z was meeting and that I was on the agenda. He came up to me out of the blue and asked to buy my old house. I was honest with him and told him all the problems with it, but he is still interested. If he gets it, that'll solve my problem of what to do with it.

In all the excitement, I almost forgot. I've been a black belt for a month now. Karate really has infused my whole life. I was so nervous about going before P & Z all day. I just kept reminding myself, I faced down the Isshinryu Karate Association board, I can face down these guys. You know, though, before karate, I doubt I would have had the strength to get up in front of a board of officials like that.

I'm off to bed now, though I'm still so keyed up I doubt I'll sleep. What a day! I got the whole city policy changed, and now things will be so much easier for those who come after me.

I guess it's true that even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

3 comments:

frotoe said...

Yay! Contratulations!

Bag Blog said...

You go girl! It sounds like things are really falling into place. This morning I came straight to your blog and saw the "Approved". I wanted to shout,"YEHA!"

Becky G said...

Thank you Patti. Stay tuned for more developments...