Saturday, September 28, 2024

Chilly Saturday

The raggedy tails of Hurricane Helene blew themselves out during the night, and this morning dawned cloudy, chilly, and damp.  It was chilly enough the coffee hit the spot, and my new lounge pants felt nice and warm. 


I found these at Walmart yesterday, less than $10, and they have pockets.  Functional pockets that will hold both a phone and a hand.  I'd bought a couple pairs last year, and was glad to see them back on the shelves this Fall.  

By the way, I can't debunk this meme.  


I don't know if the percentages are completely accurate, but based on my own frustrating attempts to find women's clothing with functional pockets, I wouldn't doubt that they are.  I've never understood why clothing designers seem to think we don't want or need functional pockets, especially in exercise wear.  It's not like I'm going to want to lug a purse around with me when I'm out walking.  I just need something that will fit a phone and ID.  

I don't carry a purse anymore anyway.  To me, it's just a handy way to lose everything at once.  But I digress...

After my morning coffee, I went outside and piddled in the yard a bit, and found the storm had broken off another branch of my sunflower. 


Given the devastation up in NC and Tennessee, I'm not complaining. My heart goes out to those people.  You never expect a hurricane when you live in the mountains.  They're just not prepared for it.  Entire towns have been wiped off the map.  Roads and bridges swept away in the flooding.  They say Asheville, North Carolina is completely cut off by flooding.  The only way in or out is by helicopter -- although the water may have receded some by the time this gets published.  I remember going to youth camp just outside of Asheville, so I have fond memories of the place. I will be sure to give a little extra to the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Fund. 

Anyway, I chopped up the broken branch and put it into the compost, then began deadheading some of the spider lilies.  It always makes me sad that they die back so quickly.  I didn't get very far, because they were still so wet with morning dew my clothes were getting soaked.  I'd said I was going to go back outside after said dew dried, but I got caught up watching the rest of season 1 of Downton Abbey, and then the football games started, and that's where I've been ever since. 


Navy won and is now 4-0.  Texas got off to a slow start, but picked up after halftime and beat MS ST 35-13, with Arch Manning getting his second start of the season.  In the middle of that game, Cody and Brennan stopped by for a visit on their way home from Memphis.  While they were there, I had Cody go through his old DVDs and take the ones he wanted.  Out of the entire stack of about 20, he took two.  Mainly because he wanted to upgrade those movies to 4K HD or whatever it was he said.  He wanted upgrades of the ones he didn't take, I mean.  The two he took didn't have upgrades, I guess.  

In the middle of the stack, I found this piece of ancient history.


Remember these-- when you had to put the disc into your PS3 to stream from Netflix?  

Those were the days...

No comments: