Monday, August 01, 2022

Almost Over

Summer is almost over.  How do I know?  Because school starts this week.  Huh...

It seems to start earlier and earlier every year, or maybe I'm just getting old.  When I was going to school, we started the last week of August, but then, we didn't have as much time off during the year as they do now.  OK, I went to school in a different state, but still...

Anyway, my coworker was telling me she'd told her grandson, "You know school starts back this week?"  The little boy replied, "Didn't I go last year?  You mean I have to go again?"  He's starting second grade this year, so she said, "Baby, you've got a long way to go!"  

In the meantime, Cody had his 10 year reunion this year.  I don't even know if he went or not.  I've never been to one of my class reunions, and I probably won't go to the next one, either.  They want to take a cruise.  Great, if you can afford it -- or can even afford to take the time off of work to go one one.  Whatever happened to hanging out in the school gym?  

In knitting news, the hat is coming along nicely.  


I don't know why I can't seem to take a good picture of anything red, not on any of my cameras -- phone, DSLR, or my Kodak point & shoot.  No matter, though.  Washed out color notwithstanding, you can still see the hat pattern.  I really like this one, so much so, I might have to make a donation to that charity and make it for my sister in law for Christmas.  She's always asking for hats, and if I can work up a matching scarf pattern, she'll really love it.  

My other hat is still languishing where it was when last I showed you, but never fear.  I'll pick it back up when I've finished this one.  

I had plenty of knitting time over the weekend, because we got plenty of rain over the weekend.  I'm telling you the truth, this bucket was empty when I got home from work Friday.  Now look at it.


Yes, I know I need to clean my bricks off again.  I'll get to it.  Eventually.  Oh, but I did manage to call the vet and get Jesse's boarding arranged for the end of the month when I go to Fiber Fun In The 'Sip.  But I did not get the plumber called.  

This is more than just normal introvert aversion to making phone calls.  I've gotten almost gun shy.  Let's break this down, and yes, I'm going to use real names.

Dodie Albritton -- I called him several years ago, on the recommendation of one of the maintenance men at work.  He never returned my calls.  I gave up on him.  

Tim McDaniel -- Never returned my calls.  Now, he did come do a job for me way back in 1995-1996 ish, but only after James called him.  I tried him again a few times since then, including after I'd moved into this house, but he never returned my calls.  

Daniel Boyette -- I called him several times, but he never returned my calls, until James called him.  After that, he did several jobs for me, then one day, he said he'd have to come back the next day and finish what he was doing.  I never heard from him again, and now he won't return my calls. 

Brad Rosamund -- He returned my call promptly, and made arrangements to come look at my problem.  (This was about the sink in the hall bathroom that won't drain.)  I took a day off work, without pay because I'd already used up my PTO, waited all day long for  him, and he never showed.  I didn't get my problem solved and was out a day's pay and for nothing.  He called my back two days later, mad because no one was sitting here waiting on him.  Well, if you'd come when you said you were going to, someone would have been here.  I called back when I got home from work, but he wouldn't come out to the house.  He sent an employee with a bottle of Drano -- like I hadn't already tried that.  OK, it was industrial strength, but it was still Drano.  When that didn't work, he said he'd come back the next day with a snake, but  never showed.  I haven't seen or heard from him since. 

Steve Proctor -- He's the one I called about the mud getting into my main sewer line (after Boyette and McDaniel never returned my calls).  He came right out and looked at it, even isolating where the problem is.  He said he had a few more jobs to take care of first, but would be back in a couple of days to fix my sewer.  I haven't seen him since.  Ironically enough, he's the one who complained that nobody wants to work any more.  I guess he doesn't look into the mirror very often.  Funny thing is, I could tell the instant he decided not to do this job for me, because his entire energy changed. What happened was, he'd said he'd call me when he was ready to come out, and I told him I'd be at work and might not hear the phone ring, so if I didn't answer just leave me a message and I'd get back to him as soon as possible.  The minute I said that, I could feel a wave of hostility come from him, even though he didn't say anything out loud.  I guess they think we have nothing better to do than just sit at home waiting for them to decide to show up whenever they want to.  Anyway, when he got into his truck and left, I said to the dog, "We'll never see him again," and I was right.  We haven't.  

I've got the numbers of a couple more plumbers, but honestly, I've gotten to the point I expect to be disappointed.  I guess I'm going to have to fix these issues myself, with the help of some YouTube videos.  I even started digging where my sewer line is.  I got this far


before I got so sore I could barely move for three days.  I started to get out and dig some more Saturday morning, but when I picked up the shovel, all I could think about was how badly my leg hurt after my first digging session.  

Then it started raining, and I had an excuse not to dig any more.  Oh, I'll get back to it -- if it ever stops raining, that is.  For now, I'll just keep flushing the mud out with my Drain King.  

And finally, someone shared this on Faceb**k right after learning Nichelle Nichols had died.  It sort of breaks my heart. 


Soon they'll all be gone, and with them, a big part of my childhood.  

It's already past my bedtime.  I think I'll go crawl under the covers and cry for a bit.  

Laters.  

No comments: