Thursday, August 11, 2022

Bad News And Good News

It is now day five of no plumber, and I'm pretty sure by this time, he'd had no intentions of ever coming back in the first place.  I doubt he even called 811, because I'm sure they would have been here before now.  The last time, when I'd had that whole sewer line replace shortly after I moved into this house, they were here the very next day.  

With that in mind, I did something unprecedented.  I got onto Angi and filled out a work request through them.  Their representative called me today, and after a round or two of phone tag, we finally got on the same call at the same time. 

I explained the situation to her, and she actually listened!  Men don't like to listen, but she let me go into as much detail as I wanted to.  After getting my side of the story, she said she'd make a few phone calls and get back to me.  I'd told her how I'd called the two plumbers --Proctor and McCrary -- and they'd both never come back.  She said, "Sometimes we can strong arm them, since they do use our service."  So, now we wait....

Now, I know you're thinking, "But Becky, in the other post, you listed a whole bunch more plumbers that you'd called than just those two."  And you would be right, there were a bunch more, but I'd called them about other problems -- even problems I'd had with my other houses before I moved into this one.  Two of them, I'd called about my bathroom sink that won't drain.  Well, I'd called three of them, but one  -- Tim McDaniel -- never returned my call.  

That leads us into the good news.  

If you'll recall, a while back I'd bought a Drain King to try to blow out whatever is clogging that drain.  The one I got wouldn't fit into the bathroom drain, so I was going to have to take the plumbing loose underneath the sink to get it into the drain system.  Only...the last plumber who'd come and snaked the line apparently glued the pipes into place when he put it all back together.  I tried and tried to get it loose. I even bought a heat gun to try to melt the glue so I could get it all taken apart. 

I'd just procrastinated on doing it.  Toxic fumes, and all, plus knowing my luck, I'd probably burn down the house in the process.   

Then, at 4:00 yesterday morning, after a nearly sleepless night during which I cried about all this crap most of the night, I had an epiphany.  Maybe I should look on Amazon and see if they make a Drain King in a ...wait for it... smaller size.  I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.  I blame sleep deprivation. 

And what do you know...


they did!  It arrived today, and...well, let's not get ahead of ourselves.  

The one I bought also came with an adapter to use it with kitchen sinks that have a cross bar

and a connection thingy (real technical term there) so you can attach your hose directly to your kitchen faucet.  I was a bit disappointed, though, because I thought I'd gotten the kit that included a hose, but apparently I didn't.  I guess that's what happens when you order stuff before you've had your morning coffee.  After a sleepless night.  

No matter.  I went outside and dragged the garden hose into the house, spilling water all over the place in the process.  Eh, I needed to mop anyway.  Jesse has had accidents in the house the last two days, so it was due for a good cleaning.  Oh, I don't blame the dog.  He's 13 years old, after all and older dogs have the same problems older people do.  I just clean it up and don't fuss  -- too much.  

Where was I?  Oh yeah, dragging my garden house into the house...  I hooked the hose up to my kitchen sink, then stretched it to the bathroom --at which point I realized, it's a good thing I didn't buy the hose that came in the kit, because it probably wouldn't have reached all the way to the bathroom anyway. 

I hooked the other end up to the Drain King, stuck said Drain King down into my sink drain, then went back into the kitchen and turned on the water.  

After a few moments of hearing the familiar buzzing sound, I went outside and pulled the cap off of my cleanout right behind the house, hoping to see water.....  Nothing.  

I went back into the bathroom and checked to make sure the Drain King hadn't somehow popped out of the drain -- it hadn't --  then went back outside and checked the cleanout, to see....water!  Beautiful, clear water flowing down my sewer line!  

I'd done it!  I'd cleared the clog that had been plaguing that sink for literally years!  

I let the Drain King run a little while longer, then cut the water in the kitchen off and took it out.  I turned the sink faucet on, went back outside to check the cleanout, and....water!  It was still draining!  

Yippee!  Forgive me if I sound just a skosh proud, but I am.  After 4 years, two plumbers, and unmeasurable frustration, I'd fixed my sink.  All by myself!

I know, I know...you're thinking "Four years? Really?"  And to that, I would say, "Yes, you read that right."  The last time I remember using that sink was in 2018, when I was scrubbing the old paint off my fireplace bricks.  I think that's how I messed it up -- washing my paintbrushes in the bathroom instead of outside.  Note to self:  don't do that any more. 

The thing is, with me here by myself, it wasn't really that big of a deal.  I mostly use the sink in my half bath off the master bedroom anyway, but with Cody and Brennan engaged now, I'd like to be able to invite them down more, and to do that, they'll need a sink they can use, and now they have one.  

Despite the ongoing issues with my main sewer line, I'm pretty stoked about this.  

How was your day? 

3 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

Well, look at you! Being all amazing and getting your sink fixed!


I've never heard of a drain king. I'll have to ask my hubby if he's heard of it. I'm sure he has. Though he is a wizard with a snake. He has to use one frequently in his work.

My day was definitely not as interesting as yours. Work. Blah.

Becky G said...

I would definitely recommend a Drain King! Two plumbers couldn't fix that sink, but 10 minutes with a DK and it was done! They're available on Amazon.

Amnicon Studio said...

I'll be sure to look it up. :-). Thanks!