Thursday, November 16, 2017

Thanksgiving Dinner

Well, I finally broke down and took an antihistamine last night.  I still can't breathe, but man I sure slept good!  The downside is I was drowsy all day at work.

Speaking of work, today was the day for our annual Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm not sure who it was the plant got to cater it, but I hope they don't get them again.  The turkey was cold and dry. The dressing was burnt on the outside and gummy on the inside.  The ham was cold -- but was actually the best part of the meal.  The mashed potatoes were runny, even before they put the gravy on them.  It just wasn't good.  Certainly not worth the horrible heartburn I had to deal with all afternoon. 

As if that weren't bad enough, they ran out of food before everyone got served.  One guy told me that by the time he got through the line, all that was left was some dressing and green beans.  We've definitely had better.

Every year, the plant gives us either a turkey or a ham.  We get to choose which one want, and I always get a turkey.  They are going to pass them out tomorrow after work.  Since I have vacation, I was planning on driving up there to get mine.  I'm only five minutes away, after all.  When I walked out of the plant this afternoon, they were handing out turkeys and hams to the tubing department.  They're the ones on that weird 4 day work week schedule, so they won't be there tomorrow to get theirs.

As I was trudging through the parking lot, I saw Production Superintendent over there where they were giving the turkeys and hams out, so I thought, "I'm going to go ask if I can get mine today.  What's the worst they can do?"  Even if they say no, I'm no worse off than I would be anyway.  So, I went over there and asked, and wonder of wonders, they let me have my turkey.  Good.  One less thing on tomorrow's list of things I intend to do but probably won't get done.

One thing on that list is to figure out what to do with that fireplace.  I bought some spray paint and painted a little patch just to see what it would look like.  Now, I'm concerned it will be too dark, and will make that corner seem dark and gloomy. 


I do know one thing, I don't like the way it looks on top of that thick, gloppy paint that's already on the bricks.  I guess, it's back to the drawing board.  I'll just have to keep working with the stripper to get most of the glop off. 

I went to the post office to mail a package to Alaska.  I thought I could get a jump on Christmas mailing, and send my sister's family's stuff early.  I'd get that service that takes like a month to arrive, but is really cheap.  Turns out, they don't do that any more.  The clerk told me how much it would cost to send it, and I was like, "Daaaang". 

I'm remembering why I started having their presents delivered directly from Amazon.

If I hadn't bought all that Harvey relief stuff as Christmas presents, that's exactly what I'd be doing. 

No comments: