Tuesday, November 21, 2017

More Upheavals

There has been a great disturbance in the force.

Or rather, there has been a great disturbance at the plant.  Remember how they'd put the tubing department on a 10 hour 4 day work schedule?  Now they've decided that starting in January, the entire plant is going to that schedule.

My first thought was, "It's ok for someone like me, because it's just me, but what about the employees who still have kids at home?"  Who is going to get their kids up and ready for school?  What about the little ones who haven't even started school yet?  There aren't any day cares open at 4:30.  Who wants to drag kids out of bed in the middle of the night anyway?  I know one of my friends who works in tubing said, "If it weren't for my husband, I don't know what I'd do."

Yeah, but what about the single parents?  What are they going to do?  What about the ones whose spouses also work? Clearly this was the idea of someone who doesn't have to worry about getting kids up and ready for school, or finding childcare at 4:00 in the morning.

I can sympathize, because I remember how difficult it was trying to find child care when Cody was little, especially when I was on second shift.  The poor kid went though 15 babysitters by the time he was 4 years old.  We finally found one who would actually keep him.  I really didn't like her, but we stayed with her until he was old enough to stay by himself.  What else could I do? 

They say they're going to put out surveys and get feedback on the new schedule, but I can tell them right now, I haven't heard anyone who is in favor of this change.

The bright side is, my Christmas cactus is blooming.


I'm thinking after it finishes blooming for the year, I might prune it back.   Not too much, just enough to shape it up a bit.


No, there was not a fire in that stove when I took the picture. 

This one is about to open up, too.  I thought it was going to be pure white blooms, but it looks like they will have a little bit of color, too. 


This is the first year this one has bloomed, so it'll be a surprise to me, too.


No comments: