Saturday, November 18, 2017

Scrubbing Saturday

That's pretty much what I did all day.  I scrubbed paint off of my bricks.


I scrubbed until I ran out of Easy Off, then I went and got my regular paint stripper.  Honestly, the Easy Off worked better.  Even so, I got this much done before I ran out of stripper.


What I discovered, though, is that there seem to be three, yes three, count 'em three coats of paint on those bricks.  They were originally painted an off white, then someone painted black over that, then another coat of white over that.  That's why it's so hard to get it all off.

I got online and ordered a case of the fume free Easy Off.  It's cheaper than buying it by the can, and it should get here Tuesday.  Since I won't be working on it for a few days, and since it's supposed to get cold again (29' is forecast for Monday morning), I took the drop cloth off the stove, and put all my tools back into the computer/craft/snake room until I can get back to stripping.


On a whim, I did a little research, to see how hard it would be to move the stove so I could strip and paint the base.  I quickly decided I was being ridiculous, thinking I could move that thing.  I'll just strip and paint as far under there as I can reach.  Nobody will be able to see under the stove anyway.

However, in my researching, I discovered one very interesting fact.  See, I knew the top lifted up.


I thought it was for cleaning, but no.  Turns out that is a cooking surface.  I guess I really can call it a stove now.  Next time the electricity goes out, at least I know I'll be able to heat up some beanie weenies. 

In the midst of all that scrubbing, I finished my first baby hat for the Little Hats Big Hearts program.


The yarn is Red Heart burgundy, and I don't think I'll use it any more.  Not for baby hats.  It's so stiff.  I was hoping it would soften up when I washed it, but it didn't.  I only hand washed it, and may toss it in with the regular laundry when I wash again.  Maybe machine washing and drying it will soften it up some.  If it doesn't, I'll just use that stuff for something else. 

I dug through my closet and found some red cotton that I can use. It'll be a whole lot softer.  The only thing about cotton is that the colors fade.  However, hats don't get washed as much as, say a dishcloth, so maybe it won't be an issue.  The only other red I've got on hand is a wool blend, and they only want acrylic or cotton hats. 

Next time I go into town, I'll pick up some Caron Simply soft. 

 





No comments: