Friday, November 10, 2017

I Have Heat!

Yesterday I was chatting with a coworker, and I mentioned that my heater wasn't working.  I said, "I at least need to get someone out and see how much it'll cost to get it fixed."  He gave me a name of someone he recommended, and I said I'd give him a call. 

Then my friend said, "Those kinds of heaters have an internal switch that sometimes gets confused.  Switch it to cold, then back to heat and it'll probably come on."  I said, "I tried that, and it didn't work."  He said, "Wait at least 10 minutes."  Oh!  I'd only waited a couple of minutes.  I said I'd try it when I got home from work.  It's been set back to cool for three days.  That ought to be enough time for it to reset.  Unfortunately, the house never got cool enough last night for me to turn on the heat.  I keep it set at 65", and the inside temp never went below that. 

This morning, when I got up, the house was right at 65'.  I said, "I'm going to try it anyway."  I set the thermostat at 66', turned the heat, and held my breath.  Almost as soon as I turned the heat on, the house filled with that familiar smell.  I promise you, I don't think I've ever in my life been so excited to have a stinky house. 

I jumped up and down and squealed to the dogs, "We have that stinky smell!  We have heat!"  So, yay!  One less thing. 

More good news, I got birthday money from my mom and my sister in law!  It was enough to buy the circular saw I wanted, plus a little more.


If I pitch in a some of my own money, I can get the staple gun I want, too.  Plus, I've got my eye on some storage cabinets for the shed.  I need something to put all my power tools into.  But first, I need to get the thing cleaned out. 

Look!  I've got my first Christmas cactus bloom!


It looks like this one is going to bloom, too. 


This one should have white blooms.  It's a cutting I took from one of James' plants.  OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I broke a piece off unintentionally when I was moving it.  I stuck it into a pot, and there you go.

That's how I got most of my cuttings, actually. 

Moving right along. 

It appears one of the neighborhood dogs has absconded with my watering can.  It has to be.  I can't imagine someone stealing a watering can.  Oh, well...That's just dogs being dogs.

I suppose now that I've gotten my chainsaw fixed, I need to get back to working on that giant pile of wood in my back yard.  I think I may have messed up when I bought that little Ford Focus.  I keep seeing free firewood posted, only I don't have a truck to haul it in.  And the crown molding I want won't fit in my Focus, and the plywood I want won't fit, and the 2 x 4s and the 2 x 6s...

But what can you do?  Should have bought a truck. 







No comments: