Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Well, That Didn't Happen

Sometimes, my greatest accomplishment is just keeping my mouth shut.


And it didn't happen today. 

We have a fairly new parts stager out at the plant.  For those of you who may be wondering, a parts stager is the one who brings the copper tubing components from the tubing department to the brazing stands for us to braze up. 

She's been there about a month.  Here lately, tubing's group leader, Johnny, has been teasing her -- calling her on the radio, "Hey, hey Hayden such and such line needs work" and so forth.  He doesn't mean any harm.  He's just joking around, but it makes her so mad.  I keep telling her, "He's just trying to wind you up. He thinks it's funny to make people mad. The best thing to do is just laugh at him." 

He's not just picking on her.  He picks on all of us.  One time, years ago, the safety person had come out onto the floor.  What she was doing is beside the point, but Johnny and I got into a...shall we say, vigorous discussion over it.  Yeah, that's a good word.  I looked around and Safety Person had a somewhat shell shocked look on her face. 

"I didn't mean to cause a problem," she said. 

"Oh, you didn't.  He likes it when you yell at him," I replied.  "Watch this." 

I walked back over to Johnny and and just started shouting at him.  I don't even know what I was saying, but I was saying it loudly and forcefully.  He was laughing and had this look on his face like he'd just taken a bite of the best cheesecake ever made. I turned back to Safety Person and said, "See, he likes it." 

Back to today.  Johnny was over by my brazing stand, and he started in on Parts Stager Girl. I got him back for her.  I turned around and said, "Boy, I wish you'd put that much enthusiasm into getting my partials down the line." 

He started sputtering and muttering something about not knowing what we needed, and I said, "Hmmm, I thought those bright orange tubs would be your first clue."

For those of you who don't work there, regular orders are in blue or brown tubs.  Partials are in bright orange tubs, because they are supposed to be a priority.    If you don't know what a partial is, that's not really relevant.  The only thing you need to know is that they are supposed to be a priority.

I brought him a list of partials I needed, and he said, "I don't have time to worry about that right now, you just go on back to your stand."  Unlike Parts Stager Girl, I laughed at him, and said, "OK, I'll just go tell Supervisor Calvin why he doesn't have his parts yet."  Long story short, I got those parts real quick.  

Well, I guess it was one of those you had to be there moments.

As promised, here are pictures of my new plants.  Three Angelonias


and three salvias.


Butterflies are supposed to like them both, and I still have room for some other things.  Maybe the weekend, I'll go get some more stuff. 







No comments: