Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sunday Hymn

As I sit here this Sunday morning, listening to the storm rage outside my window, knowing this is the same system that dropped a huge tornado in Canton, Texas yesterday, I wanted to find a hymn that reflected what I was feeling right now.

This is the first one that came to mind.  It is the only one that came to mind.  And it is the one that seemed the most appropriate.

Though Satan should buffet
Though trials should come
Let this blessed assurance control





If you are unfamiliar with the origins of this hymn, and why Horatio Spafford came to write it, look it up. Seriously, you'll be glad you did.

In three short minutes, this song sums up exactly what it means to be a Christian.

It is well with my soul

That's it.  That's the assurance I have in Jesus, that no matter what happens on this earth, or to my physical body, it is well with my soul. 

When peace like a river

It is well with my soul.   

When sorrows like sea billows roll

It is well with my soul.   

Whatever my lot

It is well with my soul.   

It is well, it is well with my soul.   

No comments: