Monday, April 17, 2017

I Owe My Cat An Apology


I woke up bright and early yesterday morning, and as I was letting the dogs out, I noticed a puddle in the hall floor.  I thought the cat had had an accident.  But as I looked at the puddle, it seemed like an awful lot of pee for such a small cat.  I went on about my business after wiping up said puddle.

Somewhat later in the day, I had to go into the computer/craft/snake room for something, and noticed more puddles in the floor.  Big puddles. Puddles that told me she'd been using my computer/craft/snake room floor as a litter pan for quite some time.  It didn't occur to me that I'd just been in that room the day before and there weren't any puddles on the floor then.  I was just mad.  I was fussing, but worried at the same time.  She is very old, you know, and I began to wonder if it was time to let her go.  Should I take her to the vet to get checked out?  Would I have to get her euthanized?  Mad as I was, I'm still not quite ready for that...but then, you never are.

I mopped up all the puddles, fussing all the while, and the cat just turned her back on me.

Afterwards, I was sitting in my recliner and I heard a dripping sound.  What was that?  I followed the sound to my air conditioner unit.  I opened up the closet, removed the filter, and there it was on the floor.  At least an inch of water.  It looked like my drain was clogged up and the water was overflowing onto the floor.

Dang, I guess I owe the cat an apology.

I mopped up that water, putting the mop bucket under where it was dripping.  I was thinking I needed to call the man who fixed my A/C last summer, and disappointed that it would be another big expense I'd have to deal with.  But as I was looking at the drain pipe, suddenly I knew.  I knew what had happened and it was my fault.

Last fall, while I was plugging up the wasp holes around my house, I noticed this strange pipe hanging out of the front of my house.  I didn't know what it was for, but I was sure it was how the giant spiders were getting into the house.  I shot a bit of that foam stuff into the end of it, never realizing it might be important.

As soon as I figured that out, I went and dug a hole in the foam with my finger, and sure enough, water came pouring out.  There was an elbow right at the end of the pipe, and I wasn't sure how far the foam had expanded, so I got my mini hacksaw and cut the end of it off.  I tied an old piece of panty hose over the end, to keep the bugs from using it as an ingress into the house, and so far, problem solved.



But the cat is still not speaking to me.


In other news, I got my gardenia into the ground.  I noticed the leaves were beginning to turn yellow.  I worked some garden soil and old coffee grounds into the dirt before planting it, and I hope it perks back up.


If it doesn't, I'm just giving up on gardenias.  I don't want to keep killing them.   Oh, and guess what I found when I was digging the hole.  If you said rocks, you win!  Beats the heck out of me -- these people and their rocks. 

I finished my red, white, and blue hat, except for weaving in the ends. 


I think in my next iteration, I'm going to start the blue section a little earlier.  Maybe just have 6 stripes, then start the blue.


Well, I broke down and bought a second hand VCR.  I had to order it online, with some trepidation.  The shop had 99% positive reviews, but still, you never know.  My favorite UPS driver brought it to me, and good news, it works! 



The bad news is, I can't find the two tapes I most wanted to watch. One was the Easter musical my church did when I was in college, and the other was a family tape my aunt made for me when I was overseas.  They're around here somewhere, I just need to find them.  When Cody and Dejuan get back from Texas, they're going to come up and we'll watch the original, un-remastered, unedited, un-RUINED episodes of Star Wars in which HAN SHOT FIRST!! 

Oh, they took a few days off work and went to Texas for Easter.  Dejuan is getting to know a whole different world than what he is used to.  They've been canoeing on the bayou, eaten Cajun food, and today, Cody learned Dejuan how to shoot.

I told Cody to make him drive over this bridge, 


but it is closed for repairs.  Bummer...Well, at least they got to drive over that long swamp bridge in Louisiana. 

Finally, after work, I ran into the store because I needed a few things I'd forgotten to get last week.  I was going to buy some of that spot repair grass seed, but as I was reading the package, it said, "Keep pets and children off of grass until it is two inches high."  Oh, well, that's not going to happen.  I put that grass seed back, and bought milk instead.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have bought an inordinate amount of half price Easter candy. 

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: