Monday, June 27, 2016

Well, That Was Interesting

I got home from work, let the dogs out, and began cleaning out my lunch box to put it away from the night.  As I was doing that, I heard a strange scratching noise.  I briefly wondered what the cat was destroying, but quickly realized the scratching was coming from inside my wood burning heater.

It was with some trepidation that I carefully opened the door, fearing it might be a squirrel.  A squirrel loose in my house would not be a good thing.  I was very relieved to find two small gray birds trapped inside said heater.  One immediately flew out into the room, while the other went up the chimney.

Now, I have a bird in my chimney and another one flying frantically around my kitchen and dining room.  Quickly, I opened my back door and it didn't take him long to find his way to freedom.  A few minutes later, I heard more scratching from inside my heater.  The other bird had fallen out of the chimney and was once again trapped inside my wood heater.

I opened the door, thinking I could shoo him outside the way I'd done the other bird.  It didn't work.  The poor thing was too exhausted.  Panting, it's little wings drooping, it just didn't have the energy to fly.  I did the only thing I could do.  I reached in and caught him.  I carefully carried him outside, intending to put him on a tree branch to rest.  As soon as I let him go, he found a sudden burst of energy and flew off into the woods behind the house.  I hope he'll be OK.  I'm sure he will.

I'd thought about taking a picture for the blog, but the poor little bird was already too stressed.  I didn't want to add to it.  So, that was my excitement for today.

Remember all that new yarn I got last week, and how I said I'd have to make myself finish my works already in progress before I cast on anything else?  Yeah, so while Cody was sleeping the day away yesterday, I finished three, yes three, count'em three projects.

First was this hat.


This was knit from some of the yarn my mother in law* sent me.  It didn't have a label, so I'm not sure the brand or colorway.  I'd be willing to bet it's Red Heart, though.  In retrospect, I think I should have used larger needles, since it was such a heavy weight yarn.  It's done, and it's huge, but hey, someone out there will have a giant head that it will fit.

Next up, I finished the wash cloth.


I can usually get two washcloths from one ball of Peaches & Cream, and I'll probably cast the second one on in the next few days.

Finally, I finished this hat from the leftover baby dress yarn.  Bernat Baby Sport in Tiny Tulips.


The pattern showed up much better here than it did in the dress.  It does kind of look like little flowers.

At long last, all the WIPs were done, and I could cast on!  Woo Hoo!  Naturally, I chose the shocking pink to start with.


This is the only shade of pink I really like -- that hot, neon, shock your eyes color of pink.

I'm a little frustrated, because I can't find any of my DPN sets.  I know I've got a bunch of them, from size 1 all the way up to 9.  And I can't find most of them.  I guess I really need to start cleaning out the craft room.

Maybe once the overtime is done I can get to that.

*Technically, she's my ex-mother-in-law, but I don't think of her that way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails