Tuesday, June 21, 2016

More Good News!

Cody called me last night.  He and his friend DeJuan have found a place to rent.  You might remember DeJuan.  He and Cody were roommates in the dorm at Mississippi College for a while, and have remained friends.  He's also the one who brought Cody to me when my Jimmy broke down on the way to get him a that time, and he found Will the mechanic for us.  Cody told me that DeJuan pulled some strings to get him the interview at St. Dominic's.

This place they found is half of a duplex.  He says the rent is very affordable, and it is in Clinton, close to the Mississippi College campus, and only two minutes away from the police station, so it's in a really safe area.  He's very excited.

There was just one problem.  Neither he nor DeJuan have a credit score.  Seems the only way to get credit is to run up a bunch of debt.  Seems counter intuitive, doesn't it?

I have a friend who wanted to buy a house a few years ago.  She didn't have a credit rating, either, because she'd always saved up and paid cash for whatever she bought.  The only way for her to get approved for a mortgage was to go into debt.  She had to buy a car and finance it in order to build up enough credit that they approved her for her mortgage.  Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Anyway, since they didn't have a credit rating, Cody asked me to cosign on the lease.  Since I do have a credit rating.  Because I'm drowning in debt.  I gave him the information for the application, then gave him permission to forge my signature.  This afternoon, the landlord called me and said I had a credit score in the upper 700s -- which I knew, just having bought a house and a car -- and said Cody had first shot at the duplex if he wanted it.

So, yay!  He's coming home this weekend so I can sign the lease.  I decided this called for a celebration, so I bought pens!



Most people celebrate by having a nice dinner out, or buying jewelry or clothes.  Me, I buy pens.

Not sure what that says about me, but there it is.





No comments: