Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving Week -- Wednesday

The holiday baking and prepping has begun!  I came home from work and made two pies.  One pumpkin pie for me:


 And a sweet potato pie for Cody.


I cheated this year, and bought pie crusts.  I used my own pie plates, but I bought the kind of crusts that all you have to do is unroll them and put them into the pans.  I tried to flute the pumpkin pie really fancy like, but it didn't turn out so well.  I just used a fork on the other one and it looks fine. 

I got the strawberry jello salad done, so all I have to do tomorrow is the turkey, giblet gravy, and sweet potato casserole.   I got a bit worried about my turkey.  As it was thawing, the package got a bit puffy, so I went ahead and opened it.  It smelled OK, so that was a relief.  Every year, I say I'm going to brine my turkey, but then I read that most of them don't really need it, if they have that solution injected.  So, I don't brine.

This year, since I'd already opened it, I decided to go ahead and try brining my bird.    I did a search for recipes, and they ranged from very simple to very complicated.  I went with simple.  Said turkey is now back in the refrigerator, soaking in a brine solution.  We'll see how it goes. 

Just for kicks, here is an artsy-fartsy picture of my pumpkin pie.



You know, as much as I complain about it, I am thankful today that I have a job.  So many people out there don't have jobs.  I actually enjoy the work I do, and I have a comfortable life.

No, I take that back.  I have a good life.  I have a new house, a new car, plenty to eat, clothes to wear, clean water, and good friends.  That is more than most of the world has.

I am truly blessed.   

No comments: