Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

I got up early this morning--but not too early. Amazingly enough, the dog let me sleep until 6:30. And that, friends, is what I'm thankful for today. I was a chronic insomniac when I was a kid, though I didn't even know what that was back then. As I got older, I kind of grew out of it. But here lately, the insomnia seems to be creeping back in. I'm doing well to get 5 hours a night, so I'm very thankful for every little bit of sleep I get.

OK, where was I? Oh yes, I got up early and headed out to Wal-mart to try to beat the crowds. I almost did. The parking lot was pretty empty when I got there, but by the time I left, it was filling up fast. Overall, the trip was a success, even though I forgot the Cool Whip for the pumpkin pie. And I couldn't find a burrito. All they had were family packs, and I just wanted one.

Strange things happen to me. I was at work yesterday, and all of the sudden it hit me. I wanted a burrito. So I was going to buy myself a burrito, but all they had were family packs, and my freezer is full already and I still have to somehow fit leftovers from a 20 lb turkey in there.

Needless to say, I didn't get my burrito.

I did get all ready for tomorrow. The sweet potato casserole is mixed and ready to bake in the morning. I used to bake it ahead of time, but then I realized it took almost as long to reheat it as it did to bake it to begin with. Plus, the edges tended to burn when I did that.  So now, I just wait until Thanksgiving Day.

I didn't do the broccoli casserole this year, because nobody but me eats it, and even I don't like it that much any more. Last year, I froze more than half of it and saved it until Christmas, and still ended up throwing a lot of it away. I just decided not to bother this year.

I did bother making the pumpkin pie.


And this, what could this be? A secret family recipe?


Naw, it's suet for the birds!


I just hope the birds find it in time. The last time I put out a suet cake, the ants found it and devoured it before I ever saw a bird eating from it.

On the knitting front, I cast on the Gingerbread House yarn.  Finally.  


I knew it wanted to be a hat and scarf set, but I just couldn't find a pattern. I recalled that I really liked how it was knitting up when I was making the sock out of it, so I just went with a plain garter rib. It'll make a nice scarf, and I ought to be able to figure out a hat pattern with no trouble.

Plus, the scarf can act as a s.... as a ssss... as a sww.....the scarf can act as a swww...swww..

*Deep breath*

Thescarfcanactasaswatch.


Whew...

For some reason, one of my little paperwhites has shot up way taller than the other three.


It's even got a bud on it.


I guess that one got all the groceries.

.

2 comments:

Sus said...

I love, love, *lurve* that gingerbread house yarn!!! And I love the simplicity of the pattern for the busy colorway. It's going to be so cute!

Becky G said...

Thanks. I love the fabric it's knitting up into also. I may end up having to keep this one.