Monday, November 01, 2010

A Very Bad Day

I was working away, when I heard a shout and I turned around and saw Steve running and I heard another shout and I saw Tameka running and among her shouts I heard her say "that guy" so I went and looked and there he was, crumpled motionless on the floor and Tameka shouted that he wasn't breathing, but he really was, and Brian ran and paged Ronnie and Walter to come NOW, and I was trying to think who our first aid trained people were because my card expired some 20 years ago and I was really missing Bubba because he was an EMT and when something happened we knew exactly who to go get, but now we don't, but about that time Ronnie and Walter showed up and somebody motioned Bobby to come over and I thought Bobby was a first responder, but he wasn't, and they'd called him because he was the guy's father and Jake was hollering "call 911 and tell them to get out here NOW" and about that time the guy started having seizures and his head was bleeding, and Kathy was standing there trying to tell everyone what to do because you know the sun won't come up in the mornings if she's not there to tell it to, and John walked by and told us to go back to work, but Ronnie told Rod to send us all to the break room, then a few minutes later he came and got us, I asked Tameka and she said that the guy had fallen and hit his head really hard, and I heard a rumor that they'd had to airlift him to Memphis because he still hadn't regained consciousness, but  I don't know for sure because I asked Ronnie and he hadn't heard anything more, and it was a very nerve wracking and frightening day, so Rod came and asked me "Can we just go home now, because my old heart can't take much more of this", and I knew he was thinking about two weeks ago when one of the flow meters we use with our propylene brazing gas blew up and flames were shooting everywhere, and it just seems like everything happens to our line. 

Some days are like that. 

5 comments:

Tabitha said...

Oh Wow! What an awful day. I hope your coworker is okay.

Becky G said...

Thanks Tabitha. I hope so, too, but as of right now, I haven't heard anything.

Natalie Rush said...

Wow...sounds like you had a horrible day yesterday! Well, I hope today is going better! Also wanted to let you know that you WON the Barknknit WIP Parade! Please shoot me an email with your information and also if you want yarn or fiber? gnat(at)barknknit(dot)com! Thanks for entering into this years parade!

Sus said...

Oh no, that sounds harrowing. And you wrote it in a style that took us on the chaotic ride with you. Sorry for your bad day (and especially to your injured coworker!), but congrats on a great blog post.

(which feels like such a weird dichotomy of sentiments to express in one blog comment, but there you go. I mean them both a lot.)

Becky G said...

Thank you Sus. I was hoping to somehow make the reader feel the same sense of frantic hopelessness that most of us were feeling. Nice to know I succeeded in that.

Last I've heard, my coworker is still in critical, but stable condition. They've had to remove a piece of his skull to relieve the pressure on his brain from the swelling. From what I saw, he hit right back there where the important stuff is. I mean, it's all important. It is his brain, but I mean the really important stuff.