Friday, November 12, 2010

Finally Friday

This has just been the longest week! But Friday finally got here, and I finally got around to making my birthday cake.


What? You may say. You're not supposed to have to bake your own birthday cake! Yeah, but it's just easier that way. I'd hate for someone to go out and bake or buy me a cake and then me not be able to eat it.  I'd feel really bad. 

I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out, though looking at it now, I made the red part just a bit too big. Also, there wasn't really enough blue fondant in the package to make the blue part as big as I'd wanted it. I'd wanted the whole panhandle to be blue. I rolled the fondant as thinly as I dared, but it didn't quite cover. So, in the end, I just had to wing it.

Next time, I'll know.  Right now, my problem is, I worked so hard on this cake that I don't want to cut it.  Even though it is starting to whisper my name. 

And here is my birthday present:


Not much, you may think, but the plan is to pool the birthday and Christmas money, along with the bonus we get from work, and get a new wide screen HD TV. The bonus is looking good enough that I may spring for the 42". Then, of course, I'm going to have to spring for cable TV. What good is a big TV when all you can get on it is FOX and NBC, and on a good day, ABC?

No, I don't want DirecTV, because I can't get the networks with them. I'm in the 6% of America that doesn't get local channels. So, they don't do me much good.

Speaking of, I really need to start Christmas shopping. I'm usually halfway done by now, but this year, I haven't bought the first thing. I just don't know what to get anyone. I'm thinking I might settle for getting everyone gift cards this year. Or socks. Store bought socks. One can never have enough socks. 

And I did get one more charity scarf finished. 


And finally, I wound and cast on my Dallas Cowboys yarn.  I'm going to knit myself a hat with it.  There'll be plenty enough yarn that I'll probably do some fingerless mitts with the rest.  Not Fetching, though.  I love that pattern, but I'll probably just do a plain pair.  The colors in this yarn are strong enough that the cables would be lost. 

I don't know.  I'll figure it out later.  Right now, I think I'm going to go eat Brownsville and go to bed. 

.

No comments: