Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ten On Tuesday

I mentioned before that I don't do these lists every week.  Sometimes the topic is one I just can't get in to.  However, this week's list is very pertinent.

So I decided to give her a go.

Ten Things You Love About Thanksgiving.

1.  Turkey--turkeyturkeyturkeyturkeyturkey, I love turkey!  From the smell of it cooking to the last bit of turkey noodle soup, I love every bit of it.  This year the plant gave us a 20 pounder.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with that much turkey.  I'm definitely going to have to be more diligent about freezing the leftovers right away.  I let them go too long last year, and had to throw a lot of meat away.  Gotta get the freezer cleaned out, too, so I'll have room for it.

IMG_3073


2.  Oh yeah, the rest of the food as well.  Things I only make at Thanksgiving and Christmas-- sweet potato delight, strawberry jello salad, pumpkin pie.  That kind of stuff.  I even love getting out my cookbooks and making the shopping list. 

3.  The Parade-- yes I love the parade.  I never miss it.  And I must confess, I still cry when Santa enters Harald Square.

4.  Football-- It's like two extra Saturdays/Sundays in a row!  The Dallas Cowboys, then the Texas/Texas A&M game on Thanksgiving Day.  Then there's more games on Friday, because it's Thanksgiving weekend, you know.  Then your regular Saturday and Sunday games. 

5.  Watching Miracle on 34th Street--  It's become one of my traditions, because the movie starts on Thanksgiving Day and ends on Christmas Day.  It seems the perfect segue between the two holiday seasons. 

6.  A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving--  A classic.  And Mayflower, a made for TV movie about the pilgrims voyage across the Atlantic.  It doesn't really cover the first Thanksgiving, but still seems appropriate.  Sadly, there seems to be a dearth of good Thanksgiving movies out there. 

7.  The unique American history and tradition of our Thanksgiving holiday.  Remembering the hardships the Pilgrims faced, and that they lost half their number that first winter.  Yet, they persevered and founded a new nation. 

8.  Being off work.  The only problem with that is, the longer I'm off, the less I want to go back.

9.  Decorations--  I put out fall/Thanksgiving decorations in the middle of October.  The day after Thanksgiving, when the rest of the world is battling the madhouse that is Black Friday, I take my fall decorations down and put my Christmas ones up.  After New Year's Day, those come down and my house remains pretty much unadorned until the next October. 

10.  Family--  What with everyone grown up and scattered all over creation, it's harder and harder to get together with family.  But it's still the most important part.


Today, I am thankful for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that I don't have to go to work!

2 comments:

Sus said...

Good things, all. Even though I've never seen Miracle on 34th Street (don't start with me), I am thankful that it exists. And I am thankful that there is still a Christmas classic that I have to look forward to.

Becky G said...

Oh, it is such a good movie! As many times as I've seen it, I still tear up at the end. Just make sure you watch the original version, with Natalie Wood as the little girl. It's the best.