Every year, people sit down at the table, and over the abundant feast share what they are thankful for. And every year, they say the same thing. Family, health, freedom, friends. While those are certainly things to be thankful for, it's become almost cliche.
Now, I don't mean to imply that we take those for granted, but this year, I want to think of different things to be thankful for. Yeah, I know. Most of these are luxuries, not necessities, but I see nothing wrong with being thankful for the extra things that make our lives so much more enjoyable. So, here is my list of outside the norm things I am thankful for.
1. Football --Face it, without this uniquely American sport, we might be stuck watching boring, unexciting sports like soccer, cricket, or hockey.
2. Warm socks --Because cold feet are never pleasant.
3. Netflix -- I'd resisted subscribing for a long time, thinking I would never use the service. But now, I'm so glad I did. I have really enjoyed watching the old TV series I loved without having to buy them.
4. The Internet-- I've met so many wonderful people online, and for an introvert like myself, it provides the perfect medium for social interaction.
5. Electric blankets -- yeah, I love mine.
6. Heat -- in my Jimmy. I've done without for so long, that I'm really, really thankful for this.
I could go on, but I won't. Some of you might think it's silly to be thankful for such trivial things. But when you think about it, if I hadn't been so blessed with the big things, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the little things.