Saturday, July 07, 2007

Socks and Skies and Shrooms

But first, the July dishcloth KAL, which I finally completed--just a couple of days late. Yes, there is a design element in there, but I didn't catch it until I had already bound off, so it will stay.

Now on to the weekly summary of socks:
I finished the bubble wrap socks. The yarn is Steinbach Wolle color #05. This is the first time I'd ever used that yarn, and I both loved and hated it. I loved the softness of it, and the colorway. At the same time, I hated it because it was so extremely splitty. I think I had to knit every stitch in these socks twice--once, then once again when I had to redo the stitch to correct where I'd split the yarn. I do declare that I've never in my life seen such a splitty yarn. But it was very soft, and got even softer when I washed it. Now that they're done, I do really like these socks.

My Big Black Sock is past the heel turn and gusset decreases! Yippee! Now I just have to knit a big foot and the first one will be done. Man, that leg seemed to take forever. I hope the foot goes faster.


I started this simple garter rib sock with the watermelon yarn I won. This was to be a leisure sock for a man, but looking at it, I wonder how many men are going to want to wear hot pink and green socks? I could make lady socks out of it, but the need for men's socks is so much greater. I'd really wanted to do those. I don't know, though. More and more men are wearing pink these days, so maybe they will go for them. I'm using Comfort Zone needles to knit these, and so far I don't like them. They are wayyy bendy. That is supposed to be their selling point, but I'm finding it difficult to pull my yarn through because the tips bend so much. I'm told that one has to get used to these, so I'll keep plugging away at them and hope they get better.


Finally, the Jaywalkers. I got a little bit done on them this week, but the soldier socks have been taking priority here lately.



This is the sky I woke up to this morning. It was raining so hard that I didn't even try to walk the puppy until it quit. The yard was all soggy and the ditches were full. Katie of course, bailed off into them as soon as she got outside, but Rylea was a bit more hesitant. She eventually did get out into the water just a bit. It wasn't even deep enough that she had to swim, but she got out pretty quickly.
Later on, the clouds moved off and the sky looked like this. Much better. The cloudiness kept the temps down, and it almost felt like fall outside.


Today's Pic: mushrooms--or toadstools, I'm not quite sure which they are. July 7, 2007

4 comments:

Sus said...

Just so you know, I had to make the picture as big as I could before I could find your rockin' design element. I like the dishcloth design. Do they recommend a color each month or are you just lucky to have selected orange for the sun cloth??

Love seeing all your socks. Wow, those black socks are pretty intimidating looking. Those will definitely be appreciated. And I think the pink and green is no problem. Hand-made socks from home? They'll be much coveted, never fear.

Becky G said...

Sus, it's not a mistake. It's a sunbeam, Yeah that's what it is. A sunbeam!

They give out a color guide for each month. Some months it doens't matter what color you use, so they say "any" or anything solid. This month, they suggested yellow or orange. Last month, I got lucky. They said that cloth could be any color. The cloth was supposed to be a unicorn, but it looked to me more like the John Deere logo. I just happened to pick dark green for my color!

Tabitha said...

That is one long black sock. You are a brave woman indeed. Your bubble wrap sock cam out great and I love the colors you chose for Jaywalker. I am going to have to knit that pattern one day. I am going to have quit frogging or I will never complete another pair of socks.

Becky G said...

Thanks, Tabitha. Since these are going to the Socks for Soldiers care packages, they have to meet military uniform regs. Otherwise, I would never have knit them that long. Our soldiers deserve it, I keep reminding myself.