Monday, July 30, 2007

I'm Ruined--And A Rant

Today was my fourth day off work in a row. I'd taken a vacation day today to get Cody's school ID made and his schedule and such like. I didn't know at the time that we'd be getting Friday off as well. Of course, Cody is not happy that school is starting back next week. And he's really not happy that they have to wear uniforms this year. Yes, this is a public school. I think I'm one of the few parents in town who is opposed to them wearing uniforms.

Probably the biggest selling point the board used is that uniforms are cheaper. I'm going to have to throw the B.S. flag on that one. Maybe if you normally shop at Sax 5th Avenue or Macy's, you will think they are cheaper. But for us normal folks--well for me at least, they are much more expensive.

Another selling point is that uniforms will cut down on teasing and bullying. I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw the B.S. flag on this one as well. Cody has been teased and tormented unmercifully while in school, but seldom about his clothes. If kids are going to bully, they will find an excuse. They don't need clothes as a reason to bully. Uniforms will not stop the kids from throwing apples at other kids, nor will it stop them from tearing up schoolwork or throwing personal property out of the bus windows. Cody told me this morning that the only thing about his clothes he's been teased about is not covered by the uniform regulations--his socks. They are allowed to wear whatever shoes and socks they want.

The board also said that uniforms create a better learning environment. Not when the quality of teaching is so poor. Cody's 6Th grade English teacher didn't even know English herself. All of her notes were filled with spelling and grammar errors. Now, don't get me wrong. There are some really good teachers in the schools. But there are also some really bad ones, with most teachers being merely mediocre.

Finally, they say they just can't afford nor do they have the time to bus home every child who violates the dress code. What???? Bus them home???? Why do that? Just call their parents. They never seemed to have any problem calling me when Cody was causing trouble. I guarantee if the parents have to leave work enough to go pick up their kid, they will make sure they wear proper clothing.

Ahhh, but I didn't mean to get off on that tangent. The idea of requiring kids to wear school uniforms just doesn't set too well with me. I guess I'm just too independent minded.

Abrupt change of subject. I went for my consult appointment with the dentist who is going to pull my teeth. He seemed to think that I was making the right decision in having them pulled. He said that if I got my broken teeth fixed, then I would most likely end up having to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Since I'd end up having to have one or the other pulled, I might as well pull the bad ones. We set up an appointment for next Thursday to have it done.

He said, "Now there are 4 ways I can do this. I can numb you with Novocaine. I can give you Novocaine and laughing gas. I can give you Novocaine, laughing gas, and Valium. Or I can hook you up to an IV drip that will make you so drunk you don't care what I do to you."

I was telling this to Sensei, who also needs a tooth pulled, and his eyes lit up and he asked, "Which dentist is this?"

I've had 4 days off in a row, but now my time is coming to an end. Just so this blog entry isn't a total waste, I leave you with a gratuitous cute puppy picture:

Rylea and her favorite puppy toy. July, 2007

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You are right about the uniforms. I went to private schools (no, my parents weren't rich-- financial aid, and they didn't pay it off until well after I was in college), and for the majority of that time, I had to wear a uniform. There are always ways to work around the uniform, and if I was made fun of, it's because I wasn't wearing a sweater in fashion, or my shoes were too traditional, or whatever. And like you said, it didn't matter what I wore, they'd still pick on me anyway. It sucks. The board is using the same excuses, but in the end, it doesn't matter one way or another. Mean kids are mean kids, and they always find a way.

Buck said...

We're on different sides where the uniforms are concerned, Becky. I think they're a good idea, and I base my opinion on the Catholic school model. But you make a valid point about the expense.

Re: "I was telling this to Sensei, who also needs a tooth pulled, and his eyes lit up and he asked, "Which dentist is this?""

I would have reacted the same way. I've had IV anesthesia when I went in for oral surgery many years ago, and I still remember being totally whacked out for at least an hour after that experience. "Whacked out" in a very good way, I might add. TSMP thought it was pretty funny... ;-)

Sus said...

I have mixed feelings about the uniforms, but since I a)am no longer in (that kind of) school myself and, b) have no kids of my own, I pretty much stay out of it. The bonus is that I never have to truly decide what I think. I like to think of it as a "mixed emotions freebie".

Yay for gratuitous puppy pictures!!! :)

Becky G said...

Dani, you are so right. Bullies will find a way to bully. Disruptive kids will find a way to disrupt. Heck, the kids at Cody's school tease him because he prefers crew socks to ankle socks.

Buck, what about the Catholic schools that don't require uniforms? The one in my hometown didn't. Does that automatically make them crappy schools? No. I think there's a lot more going on in the Catholic school model besides just wearing uniforms. For instance, the strict discipline. The incorporation of their faith into everyday schooling. The nuns who feel teaching is their way of serving their God. And let's not forget, the absence of government interference. Over the last 5 years or so, more and more schools in MS have begun requiring uniforms, yet MS still has one of the worst school systems in the US. My point is, it takes a lot more than just slapping a kid in a uniform to make a good school.

Sus, I felt the same way, until it was my turn. As more and more schools in the area begain adopting uniform requirements, I was like--oh well. But then it happened here. And I'm always happy to oblige with the puppy pictures!

Bag Blog said...

School uniforms won't stop the bullying - kids are harsh anywhere, wearing whatever. But the uniforms will help the teachers stick to a simple dress code. Kids where the oddest things to school - pajamas, things with holes in inappropriate places, sagging britches, near naked bums, tummys showing, boobs hangning out - yep even in jr. high. It is hard to police all of that - uniforms make their job easier. But it is another case of punishing the good kids for what the bad ones do.

Buck said...

I'm long past my "send the kids to school" days, and SN3 doesn't count as I have little to no input in that space, anyway. But all Catholic schools in my experience back in the day required uniforms. Things change.

Your point about Catholic schools being much more than uniforms is well-taken. But the uniform thing is simply one aspect of the larger "discipline" point. We could go on and on (and ON!) about why public schools suck today, but my money would be on "teachers unions" if we went there...

Becky G said...

Lou, you hit the nail right on the head. They don't want to deal with trouble makers, so they just punish everyone.

Buck, I'm not opposed to uniforms in private schools. In public schools, though, it's an entirely different matter. I just don't like the idea of a government controlled entity telling me how I can dress my kid. Next thing you know, they'll be telling me how I can think.

Yeah, teachers unions...totally agree with you there.

Becky G said...

What I am trying to say is that the addition of uniforms without improvements in the quality of the school system itself is just a band-aid solution. It isn't going to solve the real problem any more that pouring more money into our failing schools is.