Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How We Met

Sez Buck:

One of the most common questions a couple, any couple, gets is “Well, how did you two meet?” It’s not the first thing you ask someone, but the question always comes up in the process of making friends, at mixers of various sorts, and so on. It’s good, safe, polite conversation.


So how did ex and I meet? Well, I'll tell you...

The year was 1992 and I was not far into my second year of duty in Naples, Italy. I'd just ended a 9 month relationship with a man I absolutely hated. Suffice it to say that the Navy ended it for me. He transferred and I was never so glad to see anyone leave as I was him. It was a bad relationship from the beginning. He just sort of bullied his way into my life and at the time, I didn't have the gumption to make him go away and stay away. I've grown a lot since then.

It was country music night in the enlisted club, and we were all decked out in our boots and jeans. I was with my usual crowd of friends, and we were chatting and laughing and having a good time. In walks a group of Marines, including one guy in a cowboy hat whom I had never seen before. He was tall, and he was handsome, and he was striking enough to make me sit up straight and say out loud, "Who's that guy in the hat?"

None of my friends had ever seen him before either. I wondered aloud if he knew how to dance, and told my friend Denise that I was going to go ask him.

When the next song came on, me being the shy type, I kind of pretended I hadn't said that, but Denise gave me the stare, and said "Well?" Even in my shy days, I seldom backed down from a challenge.

He was sitting on a stool at the bar, with about 6 or 7 marines standing around him. I approached them and said, "excuse me," and they parted like the Red Sea. I walked right up to ex, looked him dead in the eye, and said,

"Do you really know how to dance, or do you just wear those clothes?" (How's that for a pick up line?)

"Oh, I know how to dance, " he assured me, but when I held out my hand in invitation, he said, "I just don't want to right now."

"Uh-huh," I said and went and sat back down. After much elbowing and nudging by his fellow marines, he finally came and sat at our table with us. We talked a good bit, but we never did dance that night.


A few nights later, I saw him again at the club on the NATO base. I was there with my usual gang of friends, and he came in with some marines. I determined that I wasn't going to be the one doing all the flirting, so I just waited to see what he would do. He sat at another table with his marine buddies, but after only about 15 minutes got up and left. The other marines followed him out, and I saw a brief tussle outside the door. They basically shoved him back into the club, and over to my table.

"I was wondering if you were going to come speak," I said.

"I can't help it. I'm shy," ex responded.

"Well, if you don't have the b@!!$ to come and at least say 'hi', then I don't need you."

After assuring me that he did indeed have all of his male anatomy, ex finally asked me to dance. The rest, as they say, is history.




Today's Pic: Ex and me, late 1992. I was standing on a box.

*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky - good looking couple. Too bad looks and personality don't always go together...he looks sweet but...since he's an ex I have to presume, not so much.

And thank you for the comments you've been leaving on my blog. Much appreciated!

Sus said...

Did you know I used to run my family's western wear store? I'm having such intense flashbacks! Help! ;)

Sounds like your 'shy' day weren't so very shy... Thanks for sharing the story -- and the pic!

Unknown said...

Wow. He is a cutie. And either you are very petite if you are standing on a box, or he's REALLY tall! ;-) I remember seeing a recent photo of Cody that you posted and thought he definitely looks like you (and he does), but I can see a little bit of his dad in him too. But more you. Too bad your ex jumped ship, so to speak. He's missing out on a great family.

Buck said...

Like Kris said: you made a good-looking couple. And to use yet another cliché..."you can't judge a book..." But knowing what little I know, you're better off today than you were when that pic was taken.

Great story, Becky.

Becky G said...

Kris, thank you. You are right. He was very handsome, but hid an ugliness inside that at the time, I didn't recognize. I've enjoyed reading your blog very much. I found it through Lou's reference to the painting she did.

Sus, too cool! Nobody I knew ever ran one, but I used to love going to Western wear stores. Can't afford to now. And oh, yes, I was verrry shy back in the day...

Dani, I am 5'3" and he is 6'1", so there was nearly a foot of difference between us. I agree, I can definitely see ex in Cody.

Buck, thank you, and you are right, I am definitely better off without him.

Bag Blog said...

I love the photo and story. Sorry that he turned out to be "all hat and no cows" which means he was not the real thing.