Saturday, July 14, 2007

Socks and Skies


My first black sock is finished.
I've even woven in the ends! I haven't really worked on any other socks this week. I'm trying to get this pair done.

One of the founding principles of this country is freedom of speech. Our forefathers recognized that the this freedom is paramount to a free society. Without it, there is no liberty. Period. One of the first things a tyrant does when he takes over a country is to restrict the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. Only those who agree with him are allowed to speak freely. Others are eliminated, in one way or another.

On a smaller scale, an e-mail list or message board is basically the same. The free exchange of thoughts and ideas is necessary to a flourishing, growing community. Heavily moderated message boards or groups are nothing more than mini-dictatorships. I am having such a problem with one of my groups. I've posted about it before. I am posting about it again. This will be the last time.

The group has had a long standing policy that they don't knit socks with acrylic yarns given the tendency they have to melt in when exposed to flame. All synthetic fabrics do this--acrylic, nylon, polyester, etc. They melt in extreme heat--such as that given off in a roadside bomb incident--and therefore for the soldiers' safety, they shouldn't be used. I have no problem with that. I fully understand.

Just yesterday, a newer member wrote in and asked if acrylics could be used for soldiers in non combat situations for items other than socks. Instead of simply reminding the poster of the no acrylics policy and saying "no acrylics, please" she went on a long, ranting tirade against acrylic yarns and by association, those who use them calling them, among other things, junk yarns. She then listed several reasons why we couldn't use acrylics. The only legitimate reason in the list was that they melt. The other reasons were her personal opinions presented as if they were facts. Her final reason why we couldn't use acrylics was: "I HATE ACRYLICS!!!" Again, personal opinion given as if it were a legitimate reason not to use them. The entire post was hostile, belligerent, and insulting.

When I read that, I wrote back a pretty hot response, saying she had insulted me and my preferred yarn, etc. etc. But then I read over my response, and decided it was a bit too hot, so I deleted it and wrote a shorter, cooler response. I figured even that one wouldn't be approved to the group, and sure enough it wasn't. This morning I received a response from my "designated moderator" stating that she would not approve my message because she had decided that I was being combative and trying to pick a fight, etc, etc. At first, I was a bit confused because my post wasn't any more combative than any of the other responses that had been approved to the list. Then I re-read them. The approved comments. Yes, they were combative, but--this is key here--they all agreed with the list owner! Every one of them.

Well, when I read the moderator's message, I immediately fired off a response, but haven't sent it yet. I probably won't. I'll wait a bit and send something a little cooler. But I will leave that group. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't make this decision lightly or flippantly. This has been building up for a long time--almost since I joined the group. It's not just the restrictions on my freedom of speech that's triggering this either. There are lots of things about the group that I have difficulties with. I won't enumerate them here, but I will say this one thing. It isn't the group's mission. What I have issues with is the way the group is run.

I'll return the watermelon yarn I "won" and find some other, less dictatorial group by which I can support the troops. Operation Gratitude, maybe. That's the one my church sends stuff to. I'm sure those soldiers will appreciate hand knit items just as much.

And I will pin the flippin socks together any way I want to.
*
*

2 comments:

Shelly said...

It sounds like a case of small minds who refuse to believe that anyone could possibly think differently than they. I won't take part in groups who choose to moderate messages just because the author disagrees with them.

I believe that your talents and gifts will be more valuable in another group. And I think you will enjoy making them more too.

I'm glad you'll find another outlet rather than just stop knitting for the soldiers.

http://theyarntart.blogspot.com

Becky G said...

Shelly, thanks. The issues run deeper than just having my posts censored, but I'd say that is definitely why I chose to leave the group.