Thursday, July 12, 2007

Huh?

Sometimes I am amazed at what pops unbidden out of my own mouth. I guess that's why I express myself better in writing. Writing things down, or in this case typing them out, forces you to think about what it is you are saying. When talking, sometimes I say things, and then wonder what it was I just said.

I was walking down the aisle at work singing The Saga Begins by Weird Al. I like to sing at work because 1) it passes the time, and 2) everyone has earplugs in, which is a good thing for them. So I'm walking down the aisle singing and a co-worker, trying to be a smart-aleck says, "Talking to yourself?"

"No, I'm singing," I reply.

"I do that, too, sometimes," my co-worker replies.

"It helps to pass the time," I say.

"Just so long as you're not talking to yourself." Then he says, "Actually it's ok to talk to yourself. It's when you start answering yourself that you have a problem."

"I've heard that," I say, "but you can sing to anybody, unless they shoot you. I wouldn't sing to them then."

Don't ask. Even I don't know.

*

2 comments:

Buck said...

Then he says, "Actually it's ok to talk to yourself. It's when you start answering yourself that you have a problem."

My retort in those cases is "Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes it's the only intelligent conversation I can get." That usually leaves 'em thinking...

Becky G said...

Good answer, Buck. If I actually thought about things before I said them, I might be able to come up with something like that myself!